Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs calais ecotec thermo fan not working

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
hey all i bought a vs calais and i noticed it was getting hot the thermo fan wasnt kicking in i have shorted it out so it runs all the time but i would like to fix it what could be the problem??

cheers scott

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
could be a couple of problems but when you say hot how hot does it get??? temp sensor could be to blame.... or maybe even there is air in the cooling system

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Most Commodore temp gauges will normally sit around 1/4 to 1/2 however once you stop in traffic the temp will creep up till it reaches 3/4 when the electric fan will kick in and rapidly bring the temp back down again. But if its still getting hot with the fan on I'd go with what the Sgt says.
You could also check the lo speed fan relay located near the battery - swap with another.

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
so the thermo kicks in at 3/4?? i wouldnt let it get there sitting at traffic lights ill replace the relay with a new one

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
it doesnt get hot with the fan crankin but i have it shorted out so it runs all the time

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's perfectly normal for it to go to 3/4 in traffic/stopped which is the correct setting. You cannot alter this as its programmed in the ECU. You can over-ride it by turning the A/C on at any time.

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
i recently had this same problem in my vr calais, turned out to be the temp sender, the one that feeds info to the ecu