Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais Series 2 probs

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
Thanks for the help guys, I'll try this tommorow. First i'll check all the connectors and for obvious wiring issues and then If I get no where I will try testing like suggested.
One thing to add, after doing a little more driving I'm noticing that it tends to change better when cold and once warm it holds gears longer, I havn't yet properely checked if it will kick down gears when cold.
The only other thing that I have noticed that may be related (but probably not), is that the temperature guage does not seem to get anywhere near high enough. From memory my last vs 5.0ltr ran at around just under quarter normally and got up as high as over half when really getting into it. This temp guage only seems to run at just above cold and max at just under quarter.
Just after reading that a wire from the tps is also related with temp sender, Is it posible that it could be related?

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
One more problem i have noticed which I havn't yet confirmed when it is happening, but i think when you go around a right hand bend, and accelerate, it seems to have an intermitten fault where it is almost like you turn the key off for a second and then keeps going.
Has anyone ever herd of anything like this?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
The dash sender is a different sensor altogether to the ECT sensor(though they are right next to each other on the manifold), The dash is only a single wire sensor.

The only way i can see a relation is if you have the loom moving and shorting somwhere or motor moving a hitting the loom when you go round a corner causing the TPS fault, but thats a long bow. The tps wont cause the car to die totally, that would have to be somthing else shorting which i would think would log a code. Best guess is you have another issue with fuel, possibly with the swirl pot in the fuel tank, or the return line in the tank has become disconnected(you know that real short one on the inside of the round access hole plate for the fuel pump). Theres 2 lines going through it, the fuel line and the return line. Most people who hve this issue usually complain about it when they have less then half a tank, above that its usually ok.

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
Is it possible for a tps to be wired in reverse? I'm finding when u ease the throttle on it holds gears like it would at full throttle. And when you floor it, it changes gears early. Like it's reverse

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I would say no, cause its all factory plugged etc... You have also swapped it over, which would be twice you got a backward one. By the way did you try the old one aswell as the new one to see if there was any notable differences.

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
yes I tried the old one and it is doing the same thing with the new one.
after a closer look, I'm realising that I have no idea what is in the engine bay of my car. I msg'd the previous owner to find out if it has a vt or vs computer and loom.
All he wrote back was, vs vt don't work. So I'm guessing he means it has a vs computer and loom in it.
Now I havn't yet looked at the plug on a vr vs air con compressor but my loom seems to have the same plug as the vt compressor. Do they have the same plug between models or has my wiring loom been modified?
I know alot of this seems un related but I'm guessing it is all goin to lead back to the same problem.

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
has the car still got the vs transmission ? the transmissions have different codes for each model series , vr is not the same as vs for example. on the trans bellhousing at the top there is usually a sticker with the code on it. you may have to do a search on the forum to find the codes for each model, just to make sure that it is not a vt trans. also the vt 5 ltr engine has a higher compression ratio than the vs and the vt 5 ltr also has sequential fuel injection , instead of group injection on the vs series 1 and 2 . you may have to know what injectors is on your motor , vt or vs . you could need to reprogram your memcal [ tune ]. and has the auto transmission been serviced , is the fluid clean and red color ?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The only other thing that I have noticed that may be related (but probably not), is that the temperature guage does not seem to get anywhere near high enough. From memory my last vs 5.0ltr ran at around just under quarter normally and got up as high as over half when really getting into it. This temp guage only seems to run at just above cold and max at just under quarter.
Just after reading that a wire from the tps is also related with temp sender, Is it posible that it could be related?

If the temperature is showing low it's possible that your thermostat or the temperature gauge sensor might be faulty. I'd be replacing the thermostat, particularly if there is any doubt that the correct coolant has been used.

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
Ok I have some more info, I didn't get time to spend fault finding today, had to finish off the last of the road worthy stuff.
After speaking to the previous owner he has told me (in a round about sorta way) that it has a vt motor, the original auto, vs computer and vs wiring loom.
From what I can put together, I'm guessing it has vt inlet manifold and throttle body (as it does not have provisions for charcoal canister connection).
I spoke to another mechanic who mainly works on holdens, He suggested I try a vt tps because they have a different auto, after checking with repco they are listed as having the same tps as a vs. Repco have ordered me another tps to assure the one I got wasn't faulty.
The mechanic I spoke to also said that its strange because if it wasn't picking up the tps then it wouldn't idle properely and its idleing fine

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Kewl, so you got a VS ecu.

See if you can findout if the VS S3 utes had climate control as an option. My guess is they didnt. If thats the case you may have to swap to a manual heater box setup and A/C button uptop to get the VT A/C to go. Thats a massive pain in the arse, let alone the backward step from climate control! Unless one of the tuners here knows another way to do it or set the ecu up for it.