Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs calais v6 engine light on for 2 seconds and turns off on the high way

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
hey all i have a vs calais v6 and i was cruzing down the high way the other day and i noticed that the engine light came on for 2 secs then turned off it done that a few times it didnt stall out or lose power or anything out of the ordinary i have noticed the fumes really smell when pulling up at traffic lights and there is black **** all over the back of my car looks like unburnt fuel any ideas would be great

cheers scott

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
that doesnt help cause when i diognose it, its fine come up with the code of 12 which means its fine

scottmcguinness172

Reaction score
righteo should i just wait it out and see if the engine light stays on then diognose?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
As above i agree oxygen sensors will be stuffed. You can new ones off ebay cheap, either bosch or delphi, just check to see weather yours are 2 wires or 4 wires, they run from the exhaust pipes on either side behind the engine.

Raremetal

Best of both worlds.
Reaction score
Website
raremetal.deviantart.com
Members Ride
Series 2 94 VR Wagon
hey all i have a vs calais v6 and i was cruzing down the high way the other day and i noticed that the engine light came on for 2 secs then turned off it done that a few times it didnt stall out or lose power or anything out of the ordinary i have noticed the fumes really smell when pulling up at traffic lights and there is black **** all over the back of my car looks like unburnt fuel any ideas would be great

cheers scott

Hey Scott,

I own a 94 VR and a month of two back I was coming home from Marshal Arts, and I noticed the engine light came on for a split second and turned off. All I had to do is pull over, turn my car off. Let it reset and turn it back on. What it is - is the car will pick up changes in the air fumes/sudden temp change etc, or if your towing a load and you give it some and its not responding properly etc. Also, it might be the injectors one may be loose and sending unburnt fuel out the back.

That's all I know on the subject.
Cheers.
Rare.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
if the engine light is coming on there is a problem, if you have the problem while towing then obviously a sensor or engine part is failing under load and going out of spec tripping the engine light, it doesn't come on for no reason, personally i would look for the problem and fix it.