Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs calais windscreen slipping down

JaCkOO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS calais s1
hi recentley i have noticed that my wind screen is slipping down toward the motor and it is starting to leak around the top of my drivers side head liner has any one encountered this problem before ??
would it be possible for a easy cheep fix or would i need to start off with a new screen ??? and also would the seals be better of with replaceing ???? thanks chris

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you live in the big smoke you can get a new screen fitted for under $200. I've never heard of a windscreen slipping as the screen is bonded to the body...maybe someone stuck yours in and didn't use the proper urethane bond (I think thats what it's called). If it's just a gap thats opened up at the top of the windscreen then I'd just remove the outer rubber trim strip, clean the area properly and then fill with some windscreen sealant available in tubes from Supercheap etc.
Good Luck.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
and going off the previous post, maybe your windscreen is missing the black rubber seal thingy that goes around the top and sides of the window.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
About 3 years ago mine started leaking out of the blue. Couldn't work out why. It was leaking down the passenger kick panel and leaving lots of water in the front passenger footwell. Discovered it was the winscreen seal. Windscreen had to be removed and replaced. All up about $400. Being the calais the silver trim surrounding the windscreen cant be reused and cost about $100 for a new one.

JaCkOO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS calais s1
ok atm what i have noticed is that in my windscreen it looks as though the windscreen is held in place by 2 little black rubber chocks at closest the motor and i can slide the screen itself upwards and it re forms the seals but now sence ive done that the windscreen wipers are scraping on the edge of the glass on one side now one thing ive noticed is that the rubber seal around the top is only black there is no apparent crome trim so that makes me think the windscreen has been changed before
one question would it be possible to salvage the windscreen like lift it out and just put a new seal in ???? thanks

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
someone must of stuck it in with window sealant not urathane just needs taken out all the sealant cleaned off the windscreen and the body of the car and the urethaned in

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Never heard of one like that before - the windscreen is a structural part of the body.
I'd go to O'briens or similar and ask how much to re-apply the urethane bead and instal the screen properly although I think they'd probably charge the same as if they were supplying a new windscreen. If you wanted to do it on the cheap you could clean it properly as delcowizzid suggests and then use a tube of Sikaflex around the opening...you'd need to leave the Sikaflex for a day or two to properly set. That should only cost under $20 against about $200 professionally fitted.
Good Luck.

JaCkOO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS calais s1
ok now in the recnt rains that my car has been suffering ........ constant down pore in the drivers side foot well over the top of the accelerator pedal could this be related to the windscreen seals or could it be something bigger then this ????

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
have you had the window re fitted yet.costs about $20 bucks for a tube of 4CR polyurathane adheasive

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I'd be getting that windscreen resealed professionally and soon. As I said I had the same problem but the water was running down the kick panel on the passenger side.