Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice 5.0L - What should i look out for?

RB_KG_Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice 5.0L
Gday Everyone

New to the site and to holden (dont hate me)
My wife and I have just bought a VS Caprice with a 5.0L
It was a family owned vehicle since pretty much new (1st owner was SA Government 96-99)

It has 300ish kms, all the mod cons and is in fantastic condition. I just wanted to know of any issues or problems I should look out for?

I'm told it has had some money spent on it with some goodies (exhaust, extractors, tint, rims and suspension) I have included a few snap shots and will upload more shortly.

Looking forward to driving her and pretty keen to see what can be done to her :)

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20140724_152149_1.jpg
    20140724_152149_1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 20140724_152108_1.jpg
    20140724_152108_1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20140724_152023.jpg
    20140724_152023.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 264

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
boost to get the boat moving.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
There is heaps to be said but not needed to say all of them as once you have the problem, then everyone could help you.

I mean I could give you all my the problems that I've had with my Statesman but it's a long list.

Having a 5L, I've had mainly starting problems (which have all been fixed now) I've replaced Hall Effect Sensor, Coil, Ignition Module and Air Intake Sensor. Every single one of these can effect 'Not Starting'. Other ones can be Immobiliser and Key Remote problems which luckily I haven't had...yet.

Many more problems but you get that on all cars especially if it is an older car. I love my Statesman and don't think I'll ever part with it.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Leave it as is, looks good but get some caprice rims on it! They're a comfortable cruiser, and IMO they should be left that way.

Btw, that window tint looks wayyyyyyyy too dark to be legal, although they look good with dark tint

What's with the old style speaker pods/map pockets in the front doors too?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Btw, that window tint looks wayyyyyyyy too dark to be legal, although they look good with dark tint

Agreed.

I would get a set of caprice wheels or something nice for them (in my opinion big flashy wheels don't look right on these)

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Speaker/map pockets are correct for a Caprice.
Speaker covers, however may be aftermarket.

RB_KG_Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice 5.0L
Gday, and thanks for the reply. Yeah completely understand where you are coming from and agree. just seeing if there was anything major that is a common thing to look for.
There is heaps to be said but not needed to say all of them as once you have the problem, then everyone could help you.

I mean I could give you all my the problems that I've had with my Statesman but it's a long list.

Having a 5L, I've had mainly starting problems (which have all been fixed now) I've replaced Hall Effect Sensor, Coil, Ignition Module and Air Intake Sensor. Every single one of these can effect 'Not Starting'. Other ones can be Immobiliser and Key Remote problems which luckily I haven't had...yet.

Many more problems but you get that on all cars especially if it is an older car. I love my Statesman and don't think I'll ever part with it.

RB_KG_Caprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice 5.0L
Yeah it has the 20's (which i dislike alot) but it also has the stock Caprice rims too which i will have on ASAP haha. The tint is very very dark but if i get pulled up on it i'll remove it and get it redone professionally.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The tint is very very dark but if i get pulled up on it i'll remove it and get it redone professionally.

At least you aren't in SA.

if you get pulled over for tint expect to pay $1-2k minimum to in fines and government inspections to get it cleared (would be a major defect which requires a full inspection and guaranteed they will find 20 other things to get you on)

Be careful because I think the vic system is similar in regards to major items like tint, if you get pulled over for tint you don't just get a fine you will get a major defect which will require a road worthy certificate to get the defect cleared (and the chances of an 18 year old car passing without a huge outlay of $$ is slim)......depends if you think it's worth the risk.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Get the caprice rims polished and you'll be in business.

Dunno whether any other stato/caprice owners experience this, but every second person that gets in my car comments on the analogue clock like they've never seen one in a car before. So be prepared for that :p