Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs caprice manual conversion issues‏

jones-84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
hey just wondering if anyone could possibly help me with some issues regarding the speedo not functioning after a manual conversion
i own a 1996 vs caprice series 1 v8. i recently converted to manual using everything from a vr ss donor car
everything has been changed correctly.... the vr ss manual computer and manual engine harness has been fitted to the caprice and everything runs smoothy
only problem is that the speedo still will not function and after driving for 10-15 mins the engine light comes on ive checked the code and its a vss (speed senser) error
any help would be greatly appriciated my number is 0415608060 if anyone has some quick tips
cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I cannot help you specifically except to say that I've seen your problem before on this forum.....maybe use the search function to locate the thread(s).
Just out of interest (yes. I'm jealous), how does it drive?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
well the signal isnt getting from the gearbox to the ecu if you are getting that error first ide check for 12 volts at the sender in the box on the red wire with the ignition on.also check the black wire to earth using a multimeter on ohms and make sure its earthed.if they both check out either connect to the purple wire under the car and run a temporary wire into the car and connect the multimeter to it and the other probe to earth and set the multimeter too 20vdc then drive the car and make sure you have a fluctuating voltage.you can connect the multimeter to the wire at the ecu instead of running a wire from under the car connects to pin A10 top row of the smaller plug 3 pin from the left when looking at it plugged into the ecu will be puple with white stripe.if no pulses and you have power and earth to the sender ide say the sender is dead or has a broken drive

jones-84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
DELCOWIZZID >>> holy **** good info :) know i just need to decode it :) i was actually thinking about running 3 new wires through a grommit near the shifter and get a decent 12v and earth it properly i know where the signal wire is so should be all sweet. just out of curiousity does the vss look a little dodged up from factory. mine looks pretty hacked up with wires sticking out and silicone covering it. if it is the speed sensor would you know if they are expensive to replace?

HAKO>>> apart from not knowing how fast im going she drives like a dream still got decent pickup for a heavy old thing. definately turns some heads :) but yeah i love it very fun to drive all i need now is an lsd. one other thing mines a series 1... series 2 statos got a nice center console which if you pop out the auto shifter surround is perfect for a manual shifter :)