Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice wont start - Code 46?

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Hey all

Went out to my VS Caprice 5.0 this morning and tried to start the car, but no go

Cranked over fine, heard fuel pump priming etc, but simply no start. Changed around relays, still no go, but then left it for the day as I had to go out

Back to look at it tonight, did the code check and got Code 46 - No reference signals while cranking. Then after checking all the relays, generally nosing around and making sure all was plugged in ok, I tried to start the car and it fired up 1st time. Baroom Baroom!

So my question is what does Code 46 actually mean? and how long before the car stops for good? ;)

Cheers all

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
why is it just after you post,you find the info you were looking for, for the last 30 mins??

;)

appears to be the CAS or DFI Module, but the DFI is a V6 Only thing isnt it?

Back to the hunt!

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi again

Been doing some further reading, it appears that the CAS problem refers to V6 models only not V8's. Car has done it again today (cut out with no warning, then wont re-start for a minute or two). Is it possibly something to do with the keys and contact ring?

Idea's anyone?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Fuel pump relay?...when it stops is the pump still pumping and is fuel in the lines (filter blocked?) loose wire somewhere. Have you done any work on the car recently? Spark plug leads dodgy? Any spark when cranking?
Good Luck.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
I'll take a punt it's the Hall effect switch playing up inside the dizzy. In the EFI V8 it performs a similar role to the CAS in the V6.

STOKED

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5ltr UTE
My ute did the exact same thing intermittent starting and no real reason - it turned out i had a 2 inch crack in the coil:ranting: ...Put in a new one and no probs now.....:thumbsup:

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
Got the same sorta probs with mine atm, sometimes when its cold... sometimes when its warm (after driving home for lunch, and getting stuck at home for half a hr :bang: ), but most of the time it will start up in 10-30mins again. The main culpret ive found is when the petrol is usually 1/4 to 1/8th full just before warning petrol light. I think mines the CAS but ill get it replaced soon which i hope it fixes it :)

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks all for the feedback

im 90% sure its the Hall Sensor in the dizzy....Car wont start at all now, cranks away happily but doesnt fire

Off she goes to be fixed. I shall post the results when its done.

Cheers :)

304Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Berlina wagon
Hey I have the same problem, did replacing the hall sensor fix the problem.

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
an update!

;)

I got a call today, my car is ready to be picked up. Hooray! Ive been driving a Ford Festiva for two weeks. God they are 'orrible little cars.

So anyway, car wasnt starting for me as above, off she goes on the tilt tray wednesday morning to the mechanics. And guess what? Started first time for them, no problems at all. Again and again. And again.

Was idling ruff so they cleaned the throttle body, put a new battery & pads all round like I asked, couldnt fault the car, its been to the auto sparky, no fault found, started it at odd times over two days, went for drives, checked what i thought it was (hall sensor) and it came up all ok, wiggled and jiggled and generally poked around the electical bits and connectors, couldn't find a damn thing, come and pick it up they say.

so i walk over, pay the bill, jump in, turn the key and.....AND........AND!!!

It doesn't start. :bang: Exactly the same problem.

Mechanic comes running out "I heard that not start, the bastard thing!"

So we do some checking, car has fat fat spark, fuel pump is merrily chugging away, but no signal to the injectors. He thinks some and decides and it IS the Hall sensor (apparently they provide a signal for both spark and fuel) and luckly its failed right then rather than being intemittent.

He is very apologetic and rightfully says he didnt want to replace a part that we couldnt prove faulty (he had explained this before) because once the pack is open fron Holden, I've bought it, if its not the problem Holden wont accept return on electirical bits. (I knew this)

No worries at all says I, take your time, Im glad it failed now, at the mechanics rather than tomorrow or something

So now we play the waiting game again...more to come! :thumbsup: