Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Climate Control Diagonostic

Deimos7382

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Does anyone have a copy of the sub-tests for the VR-VS climate control?
Cheers Steve

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I too would be interested if anyone has a copy. I have the documents for the VN setup, but I could never get it to work with the VS setup.

Whats the problem you are having with your climate system?

Deimos7382

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
My VS Statesman has a lot of vacuum leaks under the dash which has caused the valley gasket to go also.
I'm pretty sure my vacuum soleniods GMH Part (92140248) are leaking as i don't have enough vacuum to open the top vents, and can't afford to replace it for a couple of weeks.
i've cleaned the foam rubber piece in the solenoids a couple of times and it helps for a while but now i think i need to have the system regassed as it's not cold anymore (haven't used climate control for about a month or so)
I feel i have more issues with the system so i want to run diagostics so i don't have to pull the dash apart numerous times (i think that would bite)
Cheers
Steve

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
My VS Statesman has a lot of vacuum leaks under the dash which has caused the valley gasket to go also.
I'm pretty sure my vacuum soleniods GMH Part (92140248) are leaking as i don't have enough vacuum to open the top vents, and can't afford to replace it for a couple of weeks.
i've cleaned the foam rubber piece in the solenoids a couple of times and it helps for a while but now i think i need to have the system regassed as it's not cold anymore (haven't used climate control for about a month or so)
I feel i have more issues with the system so i want to run diagostics so i don't have to pull the dash apart numerous times (i think that would bite)
Cheers
Steve

$30 part from a wrecker dude... I replaced mine back in January :thumbsup:

Deimos7382

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've replaced the vacuum soleniod with 2nd hand part from wreckers, now the top vents work intermittantly and i can hear vacuum hissing noise behind the dash, like when the vents change from one to another but it is doing it every couple of minutes when i'm driving, when the car is running but not driving it switches the vents as normal. I have replaced the foam filter (the original one has been cleaned a couple of times) and it is still doing it.

any ideas how to test the whole setup?

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
I had a problem (like many) where the air would change vents under hard acceleration. I checked the valve near the firewall and it was working fine. When I pulled the vacuum solenoid block out from beneath the radio I noticed that the foam filter was dirty only in two of the holes. I replaced the foam (as it was a bit ratty) and decided to pull each of the solenoids apart (a face can be carefully levered off using watchmakers screwdrivers or similar). I found there was dirt inside the two of the solenoids that was preventing them from sealing properly - these dirty solenoids corresponded to the position where the foam filter was filled with dust.

Cleaning the solenoids out seems to have rectified the problem, but I am not sure how long it will work for. If it happened once, I am sure it will eventually happen again.

It appears that when current is passed though the coil the induced magnetic field forces the valve to seal the end near the foam, allowing vacuum to flow to the actuators. If one of the solenoids is leaking, air is being sucked through the foam constantly, and the dust that it picks up eventually comes through the foam and makes the problem worse. When you put your foot down the engine vacuum drops and what spare vacuum you have soon escapes at which point the actuator closes the vent. Anyway I have attached a diagram of what I am talking about - I hope it helps someone out.

Attachments

• VALVES.png
    VALVES.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,832

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
where are the solenoids located? mine are stuffed also

The solenoids are in a black box directly under the radio, and it has numerous coloured hosed coming into the back of it. You have to pull all the panels surrounding the radio to get it out.

If you open the black box up you will find the solenoid block. As I said, mine were just dirty inside. If you pull yours apart you can check if the solenoid is a problem by putting only the metal valves in, and pluging the block back into the car and turning the climate control on. As you change the settings you should see the valves moving. Providing all valves move, the connections are ok. If not I think you will need to seek another one from the wreckers or a new one. If the solenoids are ok and if you notice dust inside the blocks, clean it out carefully and don't scratch the plastic faces. Wipe everything down with metho using a cotton bud. If the foam filter looks dirty replace it (preferably) or clean it thoroughly. Put the whole thing back together and make sure the acrylic connector with all the colour hoses is connected properly, otherwise this will cause problems.

See how you go.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
So after a few months the problems returned, as did a heater problem - also caused by the solenoid block. Despite my best efforts, I gave up and replaced it - $100 from Holden. Just wish I had have done it in the first place - it works perfect now

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
where are the solenoids located? mine are stuffed also

I know it's a couple of months late .
Here is a pic of the location, below the radio, bit blurry but it's the black box with the 5 x 10mm holes.

GetAttachment.jpg

SW