Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs clubby power upgrades

Cjz hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubsport
Hi all. I've my vs clubby for about 7 years now. She's well looked after serviced on time by myself. Almost 290000 on the clock. Pacemaker extractors. 3.73 diff. Quick shift. At her than that the rest is pretty stock. Just wanted to the best way to get more power in the 304. Exhaust will be getting done soon 3.5 inch high flow cats. Other than a cam is there any other minor upgrades I can go at this stage?. I'll soon have a budget of around 6-7k. Or should I just put an ls in her. Thanks

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Don't ruin a clubby with a LS. I ran a carby style intake on mine with a mild cam and it was loads of fun without being stupid.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Just a thought, one of them powerbond balancers?
Match the cam to the flow of the heads, rpm limit. Then pick spings to suite and rebuild the heads.
Get a cheap rotary tool (dremel) and watch everything on youtube about porting till your comfortable?
Or a budget low psi stock block turbo setup? Its amazing how much can be done on a tight budget if you dont pay anyone to do the work for you btw.
Really without changing your displacement or the air fuel ratio (turbo cam heads) theres not a hell of a lot of power to be had with bits and pieces if get what i mean.
Having said that, make sure theres the right amount of air flow and temp, too much can hurt intake velocity and kill torque and even hp. Eg. Highly ported heads on a stock cam with big throttle bodies would be so bad for performance. Its all gotta match and you do loose low rpm power when chasing bigger power because its usually made at high rpm.
Sounds like the exhaust will be fine.
Ignition fuel and tune are the other things left to optimise. Can always pay for power runs to compare different bolt on setups. Thats not too expensive i guess.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just a thought, one of them powerbond balancers?
Match the cam to the flow of the heads, rpm limit. Then pick spings to suite and rebuild the heads.
Get a cheap rotary tool (dremel) and watch everything on youtube about porting till your comfortable?
Or a budget low psi stock block turbo setup? Its amazing how much can be done on a tight budget if you dont pay anyone to do the work for you btw.
Really without changing your displacement or the air fuel ratio (turbo cam heads) theres not a hell of a lot of power to be had with bits and pieces if get what i mean.

Is that really short of changing a cam or minor?

Dyno tune, or even a mail order one from somebody reputable. Would also look at refresh of consumable parts like bushes/suspension and cooling at this stage of life if you've never touched them.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Go 70mm T/B, the best exhaust you can (equal length, good mufflers, mandrel bends if possible or just gentle bends to avoid crush) in a good diameter (2.5")
And then a proper dyno tune.

I assume you already have plugs, leads, dissy etc in good condition. Otherwise as RJK advised, get the worn and well used parts back to where they should be.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Cam is not worth doing unless bump compression up a decent amount which means pistons or in your case may as well leave for rebuild if it's at 290k.

ACE memcal for the stocker engine & start buying/planning for rebuild.

Cjz hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubsport
Awesome thanks for the advice guys much appreciated and plenty to think about. Will let you k ow how I go and what I decide