Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Clubby - suspension upgrade or keep stock?

The Whale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
The rear shocks are leaking slightly, and so need replacing. The car's only occasionally driven, but when it is it's mostly highway use, and so any suspension change needs to suit both that, and my sedate driving style of keeping to the speed limit and not throwing it around corners.

So my question is, should I just replace the factory-fitted shocks or fit something better (softer), and must the front struts be done at the same time as I replace the rears?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
With bolt in suspension upgrades, everything is reversible if your worried about originality so just put all teh stock stuff in a box in case you ever want it.

I'd put some good KYB struts and shocks in (Don't touch anything Monroe these days, it's garbage). KYB are super comfortable yet still affordable. Monroe stuff (which is everyones go to these days) they are super rough and build quality is terrible.

Mines mainly a highway cruiser/country car too and even with slightly lowered springs my KYB's soak up the bumps nicely.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm going to suggest going coilovers.
They can be as soft as OE but make the car handle better. Plus you can change ride hight.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
And no, I don't believe it is necessary to do the fronts at the same time, as long as the fronts are still serviceable of course.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'm a big fan of swapping out both front and back

If they are original items I would say they are well past their best

If you like your rides current compliance just replace like for like

I'm running new OEM spec FE2 on my VX because the muppet before me wrecked the handling by fitting low heavy duty springs and overvalved dampers

The car handles like a dream mow and the suspension allows the xar to squat for maximum rear traction

Before, it was fine on dead smooth roads, but it hated the smallest bumps, hitting bumps mid corner was verging on dangerous the geometry was that bad.

I would also check all the bushings, namely the front top strut bush and bearing

Opinions may vary

The Whale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
Many thanks everyone!