Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Clubsport 5 speed new exhaust

Maltese2nv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
Hey guys, I’ve bought a stock standard 5 speed VS Clubsport and I’m wanting to fit a full exhaust on it. I’m after the toughest possible sounding note, without opening up with motor. It must crackle on the overrun and when downshifting. From what I’ve watched so far, I believe the single systems tend to have a nicer note than most twins. What are some of your full exhaust setups for your injected 5 litres?

Thanks in advance.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Pacemaker headers, twin 2.5" equal length mid section, single hooker aero chamber 3" in and out, under the diff, with 3" and a round muffler out the back.

Honestly just do not get a Y-pipe with uneven lengths. Best mod I did was the custom centre section. 2nd best was the awesome sounding aero chamber muffler.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I personally prefer the sound of a single 3" on a stock 5L to the twin 2.5"

If you have compression and a decent cam then twin 2.5" with a custom centre section as mentioned above is the best bet.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just be aware, a lot of the crackle and pop you want will be filtered out by the cat converters. It's unburnt fuel igniting down the exhaust.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah got pacemakers, twin equal length 2 1/2" , twin 200 cel cats into a single 3 " single muffler and then a round resonator.
Had a vs manuel s pack ute before this ( vs auto maloo) with just ( a previous owner did it) a different section after the diff with large resonator and drain pipe outlet = loud.
The current ride shxts on it for sound , also probably go. ( although I'd prefer a manuel , would be in alot more trouble).
Don't get pop an crackle but auto and when I do select say 2nd or 3rd and back off from upper mid range = you can't beat that sound .
Also if going twin equal length and twin cats will better suit any future mods you might do engine wise.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You want the coco pops sound -snap,crackle & pops.

Basically oversized exhaust with 100 cell cats will give cracle & popping on overun.

Maybe empire exhaust rear half twin 2.5-single 3",1 5/8 pacies & 2x 100 cell cats if staying stock...1 3/4 if you want to go 355 route down the line.

It will still sound good just that most don't realise that holden v8 angry sound people fall in love with usually has decent cam/tune & bumped up compression.

Always fit rear resonator/muffler or they drone like a mofo' inside cabin

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
So there is two different ( basically ) single systems , the extractors, into a y and a single cat .
And then extractors, equal length twin with twin cats to basically past the gearbox , then into a single muffler and rear section =====
=== this is the single system you want .
Even more soo especially if you decide you want some engine mods/ upgrades in performance to match that sound.

As Deuce said ,

Honestly just do not get a Y-pipe with uneven lengths. Best mod I did was the custom centre section

As qtrboy said,

You want the coco pops sound -snap,crackle & pops.

Basically oversized exhaust with 100 cell cats will give cracle & popping on overun.

Maybe empire exhaust rear half twin 2.5-single 3",1 5/8 pacies & 2x 100 cell cats if staying stock...1 3/4 if you want to go 355 route down the line.

It will still sound good just that most don't realise that holden v8 angry sound people fall in love with usually has decent cam/tune & bumped up compression.

So definitely twin cats . A bit more coin but what we want costs a few bickies.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Dual cats always the go for a v8.

100 cell cats for obnoxious sound or 200 cell to take the nasty edge off yet keep the nice rumble...old farts like me still like them to sound good without getting headache after 10 minute drive.