Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commie is really pissing me off... need some advice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
changed the radiator, and lost a bit of gearbox oil, not much i thought, but enough to make the shift from 1st to 2nd (auto) delay a bit, or slip or something...

so i added some gearbox oil to the trans oil pipe (no i didnt put it in the engine oil) and now its doing this weird thing when i drive it... i cant work out if the engine is misfiring, or if the gearbox is screwing up... it revs clean and nice, but put her in drive and when i accelerate it spits and backfires, kinda like a misfire but not as persistent... is it possible i've put too much gearbox oil in? its all i can think of because before i added gearbox oil, it was sweet as...

PS. adding oil fixed the shifting problem, but now i have this crap

any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers
stuey

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hey Stuey mate Which type of Gearbox Oil did you add?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
To me it sounds like theres either a faulty spark plug,plug lead,or ignition coil, sometimes when this happens,the engine will idle ok and rev out ok in neutral,but once its driving along with a load on the engine,either the plugs,leads or coils can break down under load and cause misfiring.Id try new leads and plugs first up,if its still the same after that,then replace the 3 ignition coils...
EDIT:Just noticed its a V8,theres not 3 coils on a V8.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
yea but this problem only occurred as soon as I added the gearbox oil... like, its fine when I pull up to my house, but then after I add the oil its rooted... instant... the other thing is that when its cold its fine but once hot, then its crap.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
yeah checked error codes just keep getting 12. I'm thinking it had to be coincidence because the gearbox couldnt possibly make the car back fire. one of the leads I just found was resting on the extractor, didn't burn right through, but may have screwed it up... I'll change the leads tonight av's free what happens... other wise I'm buggered for ideas

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
When you changed the radiator did you bleed the air out of it,and maybe you did put too much oil into the trans

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My money is on the lead that's been too close to the extractor.

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
well i had same symtoms on my v6, fine when cold and in neutral but what appeared to be misfiring when hot. I concluded it was the Crank Angle Sensor because when i poured a few litres of water on to the harmonic balancer the issue went away till it got warm again. but could've been other things so i just replaced Motor and box for a new lot.