Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore auto trans problems...

Wagon_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II
The TC won't lock-up til you're settled (til the ECU deems you're settled) in 3rd or 4th. Sometimes if you're right on the shift point map it can feel undecided. Do you have a Power/Eco mode button? In Eco, 4th is set to 80, in Power, to 90. TC lock-ups are distinct in Power unlike Eco where it's just flappy and shithouse to be honest. IMO 80 is also too low for 4th on a stock VS, labours the crap out of it.

A decent chip (i.e. from MACE or TheOne) seems to sort the trans out nicely, and these days I never put it in Eco, especially given there's no actual fuel savings for me.

I agree that it (at face value) sounds like it just needs a professional flush and loving with a new filter and some decent fluid.
Thanks for that. Yeh I have the button, have been using it in power and noticed it seems to shift better and a more definite TC lock up. It feels really spongy in eco, so from what you said I'm guessing that's normal in the VSs.

I think I'm gonna run it for a while and see how we go, sounds like its nothing to be too concerned about now that the fluid is fresh.
Might do a proper flush and filter change once I get some ramps (it's way too low to get under!).

Wagon_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II
Thanks for the advice so far everyone ;)
If anyone has anything else to add feel free

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
The 4L60E is a VERY sensitive box. Even just an oil and filter change can make a world of difference. Although most of the time when they play up it usually means theyre buggered...

Wagon_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II
The 4L60E is a VERY sensitive box. Even just an oil and filter change can make a world of difference. Although most of the time when they play up it usually means theyre buggered...

Hopefully it was just the dirty oil then, seems ok now. Am looking to sell it in July anyway so don't wanna spend too much on it. It's already cost me 100 bucks in trans fluid.
Seems like autos in general are quite sensitive and complex the more I look into it... The only other auto I've owned was a HZ 253 with a trimatic and that had no problems at all.

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
do a full service on the box, and get some lucas stop slip treatment, there is a guide on jc about doing it, clean the magnet in the pan etc, and reset the tps, my box had a similar problem cruising at 80km/h revs would fluctuate i reset the tps and all was good again

Wagon_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II
do a full service on the box, and get some lucas stop slip treatment, there is a guide on jc about doing it, clean the magnet in the pan etc, and reset the tps, my box had a similar problem cruising at 80km/h revs would fluctuate i reset the tps and all was good again

How do I reset the tps?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
How do I reset the tps?

remove the neg battery terminal for a few min then reconnect it..this will reset the computer ...
start the car dont touch the throttle and let it run for 5 sec, switch off wait a few sec and restart...this will reset the IAC, then with the brake on put it into reverse let it sit till rpm settles, then drive let the rpm settle,then switch on the aircon and let the idle settle....drive it gentle for the next few K's ..get out and walk around the car backwards yelling freddie is a devil, freddie is a devil :)
ok walking around the car is optional...;)