Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore cluster

1996vsspac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Spac Series 2 V6 3.8L
Hi All

I've got a got a 1996 vs commodore spac series 2 and my trip meter and kms aren't working i got the cogs and gears replace with new ones and it still isn't working could there be anything else stopping it from not working

Cheers

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
If the job has been done correctly then it will work. I'd say something hasn't been done as it should be.

1996vsspac

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the job has been done correctly then it will work. I'd say something hasn't been done as it should be.
Yeah im not sure they said i would have to take it to a election cause they said it might not be getting signal or something

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Could be a broken piece of plasic stuck in the mechanism.

Alternatively, when I replaced mine years ago, it initially didnt work, however after manually winding it forward (I did 15 kms after reading somewhere), all was good.

1996vsspac

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I'll get my mechanic to sus it out for me

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Yeah im not sure they said i would have to take it to a election (sic) cause they said it might not be getting signal or something

If you take it to an election you will probably get voted out (LOL).

If your speedo is working properly then you are getting the correct signal from the speed sensor in the gearbox and don't need to take it to an auto electrician.

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Hi All

I've got a got a 1996 vs commodore spac series 2 and my trip meter and kms aren't working i got the cogs and gears replace with new ones and it still isn't working could there be anything else stopping it from not working

Cheers
Did you replace the cog that is sitting in the actual spindle of the little motor inside? (i could be thinkg of a different model tho) They have a habit of creating tiny crack around the bit that sits on the spindle, so when the spendle moves it just moves without transfering the movement onto the cogs, so replacing all other cogs won't make a difference. It could also bee caused by the little motor inside it, if the widing of it gets a loose connection it won't make things move anymore. Maybe take some pics of the inside and show us, and the back of the circuit board also.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
One has to ask if you replaced the Sun gears as a pair or just went the cheapskate option of only the small gear on its own.

Both gears as a pair have aged gracefully and are as brittle as each other after 22 odd years. For those that only replace the little gear will find that shortly after fitting that the large one fails and the job has to be done all over again and with how brittle the dash fascia's have become over the years that the less you play with that part the better it all is.

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi All

Cheers

I did a tutorial on how to change the cog so next time you can do it yourself. Hardest part is getting the correct cog.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-fix-broken-odometer-change-speedo-cog.273048/

If you paid to change the cog they should of tested it while it was apart. I had the same problem, i used a series 2 cog not a series 3 cog and it didn't work.
I paid $40 to have the cog replaced when i had the speedo gauge out and had to put speedo gauge back on put cluster together and refit. That also included some soldering as i stuffed up and pulled a pin out of it's socket. I would say it would take me about 30-40 mins to do now i know how.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Phillbert,

I've just had another quick look at your tutorial again and as I've done this job since, I have noticed that you do NOT need to remove the speedo face at all to do this job. The circuit board that one has to remove can be easily taken off with the speedo face still intact.

Can't stress enough though to use cotton gloves if you want the speed face to remain spotless as finger prints can't be removed successfully once they are on the face.

Also both gears should be replaced as a pair and not just the small gear on its own.
All the Series I and II VS Level 1 & 2 clusters use the 25 tooth small gear while the Series III Ute uses a 20 tooth gear.

As it's been previously mentioned this is a superb tutorial that you've done.

Last edited: