Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore dash light fuse keeps blowing!!! HELP!

Constatiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute Series 2
hey all,

Just purchased a 1997 vs ute, I realised while driving it home that it had no dash lights, so the next morning I put a new fuse in and as soon as i turn the parkers or headlights on it blows. I have taken the tail lights out and removed all the bulbs (brake lights,idicators and reverse lights and number plate lights) and i have also cut and taped all the wires for the trailer plug.

Can anyone help?

zelby11

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SCOOTER
You have a short circuit somewhere in the wiring,something like this happened to my car once and the problem ended up being in the boot light wiring.What you need to do is take it to an auto electrician,he will test the wiring for you and pinpoint the problem

Constatiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute Series 2
does anyone else have any suggestions for what I can try?
My Vs is a UTE

dont really want to pay an auto elec $200 to look at it and fix it

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Has is got a aftermarket stereo fitted? Make sure the factory illumination wiring isnt hooked up to anything

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
^^^ i did that,when i replaced the stereo in my ss,the illumination wire was earthing out against the metal bracket and kept blowing the fuse

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
There will be a positive wire naked somewhere, will generally be in plain sight.

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
Usually stuff like thatbis because of a loose wire or build upbof dust. get some electrical cleaner and spray it everywhere

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
I dont know if this helps but in my old vl the fuse for the lights kept blowing just after i put a new intrument cluster in it. So i put the old one back in and it worked perfect again, so when i had time i pulled the tacho dash apart and there was a globe in the back where the glass had cracked and the was a small chunk missing and all the plastic around it was melted, no wires were damaged just the plastic surrounding the bulb. The car got written off before i could try puttin a new bulb in the dash and re-installing it but i assumed the bulb was still working to some degree heating up and blowing the fuse for the lights.

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
i have a similar problem. but when i replace the fuse for my dash lights and turn on my lights itll blow my parker fuse. so i either have no parkers or no dash lights
thank god for speed alert and cruise control :)