Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore Handbrake button flying off...Help please.

Antonio95

Reaction score
Hi all, first time posting here in this forum. First off i searched the forum and found plenty of threads on the handbrake but not quite meeting what i was looking to solve. I pulled the handbrake up today when parking and much to my surprise the button flew off the handbrake, bounced off the console and hit the back seat, the spring also came out. I can still use the handbrake normally by pushing on the metal rod inside where the button normally covers (although the rod rattles slightly and the clicks you get when normally pressing the button and pulling the handbrake up are much quieter and less prominent, what i mean by this is that you don't feel the clicks as much as you normally do) but the trouble is i can not seem to get the button and spring back on. If i try put the button and spring on and push hard on it stays on but just turns into a drifting handbrake as it wont click and stay in place. If i wriggle it a bit more it is like normal but as soon as you pull up to engage the handbrake it flies off again and the spring comes out. I do not have a clue what to do so if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Antonio

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
If the button is flying off there is likely to much spring pressure, someone may have stretched the spring to counter a sticking button. If refitting it causes the ratcheting mechanism not too function I would think your spring is not seating properly. Try refitting it making sure your handbrake is released first. If that doesn't work pull your centre console out if you haven't already, so you can get better access to it. The ratchet mechanism is very simple in operation, shouldn't be too hard to sort out with a bit of time & patience :)

Antonio95

Reaction score
If the button is flying off there is likely to much spring pressure, someone may have stretched the spring to counter a sticking button. If refitting it causes the ratcheting mechanism not too function I would think your spring is not seating properly. Try refitting it making sure your handbrake is released first. If that doesn't work pull your centre console out if you haven't already, so you can get better access to it. The ratchet mechanism is very simple in operation, shouldn't be too hard to sort out with a bit of time & patience :)

Hi Maxmadmat, thanks for the reply...the handbrake still functions alright with the button on its just that the button either gets stuck pushed in to far and turns into a drift like handbrake or it goes on properly until i pull on the handbrake to engage it and then the button flies off again.The button came off shortly after an incident where i did not put the handbrake fully down while driving for about 2kms...ti think they are coincidences but my handbrake still works properly, it just that button...ill try put it on with the handbrake released and then i will remove the center console and take a look.

Thanks for your reply, i appreciate it.

Antonio95

Reaction score
Do you think it could possibly be the button that's worn out where it connects to the rod? As in the hole that goes onto and over the rod is stretched out to much effectivley letting it slip?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Common problem when they get old...You will just need to glue the button back onto the rod(you cant by new ones anymore :) ) Use a contact adhesive a tiny bit on the rod and 1/2 fill the hole in the button, wait till it drys to touch and the push the button back on, hold it on with some tape for an hr or 2 ....with contact if you need to remove the buitton later for any reason you just twist and it should brake the glue contact...wouldn't surprise me if they where orig glued on at the factory

Antonio95

Reaction score
Common problem when they get old...You will just need to glue the button back onto the rod(you cant by new ones anymore :) ) Use a contact adhesive a tiny bit on the rod and 1/2 fill the hole in the button, wait till it drys to touch and the push the button back on, hold it on with some tape for an hr or 2 ....with contact if you need to remove the buitton later for any reason you just twist and it should brake the glue contact...wouldn't surprise me if they where orig glued on at the factory

Worked Great! Thanks heaps. Stupid design though...i guess it was a 'that'll do' moment.

Cheers!

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I also had this problem in my VN. I cut the spring in half and no more drama's with it.