Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore head gasket?

Travis w

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vs ute
Hey guys I have just replaced the valley gasket in my 99 vs ute, today have I noticed a bit steam and water coming out of the exhaust, also the over flow tank is down a bit I have no coolant in my oil or oil in the Coolant I’m now worried it could be a head gasket any ideas? Cheers

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
If it’s cold, the exhaust will give of condensation for the first 10-15 minutes of town driving. If it were due to a head gasket or cracked head you’ll be seeing has bubbles in the radiator and loss of coolant in the main circuit. It sounds to me like your overflow has simply bled out some trapped air after your gasket job which is normal. Top up your overflow and keep an eye on it.

Travis w

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 vs ute
If it’s cold, the exhaust will give of condensation for the first 10-15 minutes of town driving. If it were due to a head gasket or cracked head you’ll be seeing has bubbles in the radiator and loss of coolant in the main circuit. It sounds to me like your overflow has simply bled out some trapped air after your gasket job which is normal. Top up your overflow and keep an eye on it.
I’ve left the car running for about 40 mins this afternoon and there is a constant flow of condensation coming out the exhaust and a decent sized puddle of water at the exhaust and also in the centre muffler due to it needing to be tightened up, I removed the radiator cap to look for bubbling and there was a couple but not splashing around, the car is not currently registered, I brought it in bad shape and have pretty much done a full rebuild, I’ve gone and brought a head grind gasket kit today. I’ve spent so much on the bloody thing so far I’m thinking just replace the lot and be done with it but then on the other hand I’m like ohh dam can I be bothered just for the sake of it ‍♂️, I guess the only real way to find out is get it pressure tested

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you've bought a head gasket, might as well get the heads checked and put them in