Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore heater

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Hi all. I have driven my VS 5L back from a cold night and I had the heater on. All of a sudden the heater starts blowing cold air without me making any adjustments. The aircon works fine on cold but when you turn it to max heat it just blows warm air. I have checked coolant levels etc and they are good. I’m thinking maybe it could be the heater tap but I’m unsure on how to confirm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I think if the vacuum hose comes off the valve, it will flop into the open position (hot water going to cabin). Other possibility is you have sludge in coolant that blocked heater core. The tubes are narrow, and clog easily.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
hey guys. Sorry for the late reply I have been trying to work this out for awhile. I have changed my climate control unit (digital) and it has not made a difference. What I have noticed is that the heater only works when it is positioned on feet or face. It goes cold when I choose the windscreen vent. I am pretty sure my vacuum solenoid is gone because when I choose the option to put it on face it makes a blocked sound like as if the flap inside is still shut when it’s supposed to be open. Could a faulty vacuum solenoid cause a heater to not throw out heat? Thanks guys.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
By the way I have checked the heater tap and it does open and close when I change the temp from hot to cold.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Sounds like you're onto it.
I actually have no idea, but yeah there's probably a flap that redirects from face to demister.

So you turn the fan on, and get heat to face?
But when you go to demister it's cold?
That's weird... I would have thought you'd either get no air flow or hot air.
It wouldn't turn the heater tap off just cause you've gone to demister... surely not.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Check the hoses to the dial that change from face, windscreen etc are still connected here is a picture of a non digital but the different coloured hoses are the same from memory I think they work by vacuum as when you put a finger over one end and change the dial you can feel air being sucked out and there is resistance when you remove your finger

Attachments

• 20220701_012303.jpg
    20220701_012303.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 110

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Check the hoses to the dial that change from face, windscreen etc are still connected here is a picture of a non digital but the different coloured hoses are the same from memory I think they work by vacuum as when you put a finger over one end and change the dial you can feel air being sucked out and there is resistance when you remove your finger
In climate control vehicles this dial And hoses are replaced by a vacuum block under the stereo. They crap out and need replacing

1656623584550.jpeg

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Sounds like you're onto it.
I actually have no idea, but yeah there's probably a flap that redirects from face to demister.

So you turn the fan on, and get heat to face?
But when you go to demister it's cold?
That's weird... I would have thought you'd either get no air flow or hot air.
It wouldn't turn the heater tap off just cause you've gone to demister... surely not.
Yeah it’s super weird. It’s hot in feet but not 100% sure on face vent since it sounds blocked. As if there’s something blocking it. Sometimes it’ll open by itself if you slap the Plastic trim around the radio, climate control etc it sometimes unblocks. I have changed the vacuum solenoid if that’s what it’s called (black thing with vacuum tubes). I’m guessing maybe a vacuum leak?

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
In climate control vehicles this dial And hoses are replaced by a vacuum block under the stereo. They crap out and need replacing

View attachment 239500
I’ve changed that before with a second hand one. Might have failed again. Could this cause a problem with the heater though?