Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs commodore help and info shaking/vibrating

jamiebrown

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS acclaim
hey guys my 96 VS commodore acclaim seems to shake/ vibrate alot when idling at first i thought it was missing but it just shakes. runs perfect when driving though just shakes when im stopped. any idea's what this could be? i know a fair few people that have the same problem. my compression for the cylinders is all whacked and i have been told its dirty injectors by one mechanic and my cam shaft is pitted out by another mechanic, he said just run it until it dies and put a new motor in it as a top end rebuild is more expensive then a whole new engine. although i do not want to replace the engine if it is just injectors, so if what do you guys think of this problem/situation?

thanks, jamie.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Add some injector cleaner to the fuel tank and see what happens.When it shakes does it feel like its missing,look under the bonnet when its shaking and see if the motor is actually moving around it could be the engine mounts if thats the case.

jamiebrown

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS acclaim
Add some injector cleaner to the fuel tank and see what happens.When it shakes does it feel like its missing,look under the bonnet when its shaking and see if the motor is actually moving around it could be the engine mounts if thats the case.

tried injector cleaner, it does help abit so im assuming that is it but not sure. at first it felt like it was missing but its sort of a constant shaking when idling now. the engine doesnt move.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
my suggestion, try going to repco, ask for NULON Fuel system cleaner. its in a metal tin. its a trade product but your nearest store should be able to order it. about $16 a tin, and its full strength not just the light duty sutff in the plastic containers. trust me it works. and works well.

its a diagnostic cleaner to determine if you need new fuel system parts. so basically if it doesnt do anything for you, then it means one of two things. either your injectors have had it, or there was nothing wrong with it and its something else.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
How are your engine mounts?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It could be that your engine is idling too low - when it shakes what revs are indicated?....it should not be below 700rpm.....if below 700 with bad engine mounts as VR38 suggests then it will shake. The mechanics you've been going to sound a bit dodgy.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
If coils/dfi are bad could they be giving weak spark or slight misfire and causing bad idle?
Maybe new plugs, leads and DFI/Coils might help (Or try ones off a second hand car that idles good to rule it out before buying new?) , and take the injectors to get cleaned.

Try another MAF Maybe?

jamiebrown

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS acclaim
injectors seems like the main thing, it doesnt idle below 700rpm's and the leads and plugs are less than a year old. bosch leads and NGK plugs.

JarredA

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s1 manual wagon
I’m having the same problem with a vs and it does it at 1500-1600rpm
I’ve ruled out dfi module coils leads plugs, swapping computers and even removing the gearbox and clutch and it still does it

Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore 2003 spack v6
Im having a shaking idle also with a vs series2 wagon it can be a few things i will narrow it down my first thought is centre bearing on the tailshaft due to me doing it myself marked it up with marker pen by the timei was finished greasing the cv time to put back togeather no marks left i was devastated ive changed one engine mount when i had the bonnet up to check trans fluid lvl i went through the gears as soon as i put in reverse the engine moved upwards and revs changed process of many problems change other engine mount and see if that fixes it
What gets me today going up hill no vibration cruises beautiful uphil downhill and flat roads and traffic lights vibration and yes rear bushes need doing its a daily to work so i wil be doing one by one till i cab afford another car or get my vy back if any mechanic drove my car they would say burn it lol
So far changed plugs newcoil pack new idle pulleys apart from tensioner which needs doing ill battle this till i find the cause waste of money but i also need to know what it is there was no pre warning of the centre bearing going either till the car wouldnt move far even raa mechanic test drove it took 3 heavy loads before shuddering violently