Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore ignition switch broken.

Drag lc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hi,

i know there are a lot of threads around on this topic that's how i got it out.

but im just asking if there is a better way forward in 2019?.

so i tried to start my trusty old vs yesterday but the key turned on and freewheeled into the start position and the ignition was stuck on but the key was still able to be turned and pulled out no problems so I've now got the barrel out and it had broken the little t that goes inside the switch itself so its all out now.

now prior to this it had developed a glitch that if u stopped it and left it for a minute or so you have to press the unlock button on the key to get it to crank over so what im worried about is if i buy a new barrel an key put that in with the old black key fob it should be good to go right? or is the pressing the unlock button each time u want to start it a more serious issue with the bcm? if so can i do away with it?

as u can imagine the car is not worth anything but it just keeps on going till yesterday i use it as a daily.

Cheers Hayden

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
the car is not worth anything
I wouldn't agree with that statement.
What is it going to cost you to replace the car. If used then you're going to have to be very lucky to get something in good condition.
People don't usually sell cars that are going well.

Drag lc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hi Lex,

your right that's the reason im trying to get it back on the road as its cheap motoring I've not spent much on it the whole time I've had it the odometer stopped not long after i got it(10 years ago) it says 240k but i know its done way more than that the mechanicals have never let me down i know the day is coming that it will but for the moment im trying to keep it as if i need to replace it im not sure what id be looking for.

im going to order a sign barrel and key from eBay this arvo as its stuck in the driveway atm so hope maybe late this week it will be here.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Use your original key or it won't start. Just get a new barrel and switch and have the barrel matched to your key.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I had a similar problem in my old VS, except I couldn't turn mine at all, it was locked up completely. Rang a mobile locksmith who works on cars, he was able to get there that day and all it cost was $140. That included supplying and fitting a new barrel. He was even able to match my existing keys to it. Might be worth thinking about.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
You can use a different key blade but you have to use the original key head as the electronics need to match up like they did previously before the problem arose.

Drag lc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
are yeah righto thanks for the advice ill wait till the new barrel shows up then ill get to fixing it.

i have since read elsewhere that my problem with having to press the unlock button before it will crank is the bcm not powering up the ring around the ignition key to power up the fob to give it the signal.but im happy to work around that.

cheers

Drag lc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
hi there,
ok so I've put the new barrel in and got it all back together it starts now just like before press the unlock button and then it will start.

I've just checked the purple wire on the metal tabs the one that is meant to be powered up by the bcm when u turn the ignition on but no power is there so going forward can someone tell me if its meant to have 12v on there and not something silly like 5v or something and if its meant to have 12v ill run a fused hot wire to it? to avoid having to press the unlock button every time.

Cheers

Drag lc

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
actually cancel that last post guys i was testing the power on the purple wire with a bad earth its actually getting a momentary 10/11v when ignition is turned on so i traced it back to the metal ring not having a good contact inside the little unit. so i sorted that and now the car starts with out using the unlock button every time.

Thanks Guys I'm now back on the road with the trusty on vs. just intimate i got the rego in the mail today aswell.

Cheers H