Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Commodore Intermittent Starting

wabbit

Reaction score
got a problem here

my vs v6 auto refuses to start when the engine is hot. about half of the time

when it's cold- no worries.

i checked the error codes and it gave me codes 12, 46 and 47.

any help??

T

tonysoprano

Check the crank angle sensor, my vs was having similar problems and was fixed under warranty, since then ive had no problems. It seems to be a very common fault.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yep Tony is on the ball.
Try this, next time it won't start, get some water and pour it on the bottom pulley (the big one - crank pulley) and make sure it goes all over that sensor that is sitting to the right of that pulley.

If you can't see the sensor, look for wires coming out on the right hand side.
If it starts after you've soaked it, then its definatly the crank angle sensor.

if you replace it, make sure you install it correctly or else it will keep having the same problems.

holdenlover

Reaction score
You guys are too good!!
Check out this link for codes 46 & 47.
EMF

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe how many CAS/DFI/Coil problems we get, these Commodores chew them up and spit them out

Soon all the information and trouble shooting will be online and people will be able to have a read first

Rather than posting the same question someone asked a week ago it is also a good idea to use the search function located in the top menu bar. Not only does save bandwidth but you'll get the answers you need quicker. If you are unsure what the problem is like Wabbit- by all means start a new thread.

Jake.

wabbit

Reaction score
thanks all

the cas sounds a lot cheaper than the ecu that everyone was telling me was stuffed

car's got 180k on it so it's time to change the harmonic balancer anyway

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
the rule of thumb i was always told is that the ECU is the easiest thing to blame, but rarely the source of the problem

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
What I reckon would be cool and I'll try to get it done in a few months, is being a self-diagnosis bit on this page.
So people chose the area that they are having problems with a guide you through what it is and how to test it and fix it.
If its too difficult then they can ask here.

But it may slow down these forums a bit, maybe have it only avaiable to members..

anyway, its just an idea and very OT!!!

*note to paul, move this post later *

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE What I reckon would be cool and I'll try to get it done in a few months, is being a self-diagnosis bit on this page.

It is happening as we speak Easier said than done when your looking at VN-VY first without even starting on VB-VL.

Back on topic-

Wabbit 46 and 47 both relate to the CAS on your Auto VS, 12 is a system pass which imo indicates a intermittent fault. For example it passed at the time you checked itr because the CAS was operational, but still had the fault codes in memory. On a VS code 49 is meant to be intermittent but it isn't always logged.

I'm 100% sure you'll be right with a new CAS, combining the diagnositic info and the fact that it fails to start when hot.

Jake.

G

grover

Thanks boys,been having the same trouble with my vr acclaim which i've just brought.Pretty new to this whole computer in car thing though.always been able to fix everything myself but i am in unchartered territory at the moment.Wabbit could you tell me how you check the error codes please.