Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Commodore Intermittent Starting

wabbit

Reaction score
after you plug the paper clip in, you have to turn the ignition to the ON position.

the codes will flash 3 times per stored code, starting with the lowest numbered one.

after all codes hve been shown it cycles back to the first code and keeps going

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Andy- The below information might help you out, each individual ALDL code will repeat itself 3 times and the whole process will continue for as long as the terminals are jumped. Heaps of time for you to fire up your wheelchair and clean your glasses before getting around to the other side

Enjoy.

Extracting Codes

The codes are extracted on all ALDL connectors by jumping the white/black diagnostic test terminal to the black earth terminal on the assembly line diagnostic link (ALDL) connector. On the 6 Pin Connector this is done by jumping pin’s A and B. On the 16 Pin Connector codes are extracted by jumping pins 5 and 6. Codes will then be displayed with the ignition in the ‘ON’ position.

Please note I- damage to the EPROM (electrically erasable programmable read only memory calibration unit) or related components can easily occur if the incorrect pins are jumped. To prevent damage to the EPROM, the ignition must be switched off when jumping pins, disconnecting and connecting power. Care should also be taken when terminals are jumped, if the engine is started or cranked at any time EPROM damage can occur.

Please Note II- Code extraction and related processes will only work on a factory standard ECU. Modified ECU's will have a different set of codes, which should be diagnosed as specified by the manufacturer.

Interpreting Codes

1. The codes will be displayed as a series of flashes from the Check Engine Lamp.
2. Each code is represented by two groups of flashes separated by a 1.2 second pause.
3. The first series of flashes represents tens; the second series represents units. For example, 4 flashes, followed 1.2 seconds later by 1 flash, would indicate code 41 (CAS- Crank Angle Sensor).
4. Each code will be displayed 3 times.
5. If more than one fault is in memory, each code will be displayed three times followed by a 3.2 second pause then the next code will be displayed
6. The sequence will be repeated while the ALDL terminals are jumped.
7. No new codes will be set while the ALDL is jumped.
8. Code 12 (system pass) will be set if no faults are detected.
9. Record any codes if present
10. Confirm the codes before fault diagnosis (see Code Confirmation)

Please Note- a pen and paper really comes in handy when recording fault codes.

Code Confirmation

Before moving on any code/s should be confirmed prior to further diagnosis.

1. To confirm the codes, remove the jump wire from the ALDL
2. If the code is not set after confirmation, an intermittent fault is indicated.

Clearing Codes

Once a code has been displayed and the fault has been repaired it is recommended that you clear the codes. Codes are cleared using the below process.

1.With the ignition in the ‘OFF’ position disconnect the ENG COMP fusible link on early models, or the ENGINE fusible link on later models, for at least 10 seconds. These are located in the smaller box below your relay box in the engine bay.
2.Refit the fusible link.

G

grover

thanks boys,will go check it out shortly,any probs with pre-computerised holdens i can help!!!!!

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
QUOTE (OSL-060 @ Jan 10 2004, 12:15 AM) QUOTE (MaNiac_VP @ Jan 9 2004, 10:51 PM) Just let me know how I can help Jake.
More than happy to help compile info or proof read.
Count me in!
Sign into messenger then or unblock me biatch
Jake....

I do not have u blocked mate, I just only go on messagener when i remeber to.
I'm on now and where are u
I turned it off auto launch because this computer is shared and people can access my email if it automatically launches..

No hard feelings bro!!

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE (MaNiac_VP @ Jan 10 2004, 11:38 AM) QUOTE (OSL-060 @ Jan 10 2004, 12:15 AM) QUOTE (MaNiac_VP @ Jan 9 2004, 10:51 PM) Just let me know how I can help Jake.
More than happy to help compile info or proof read.
Count me in!
Sign into messenger then or unblock me biatch
Jake....

I do not have u blocked mate, I just only go on messagener when i remeber to.
I'm on now and where are u
I turned it off auto launch because this computer is shared and people can access my email if it automatically launches..

No hard feelings bro!!
I wasnt serious bloke...just giving you sh!t

G

grover

thanks for all your info boys.checked my codes and chased up a new c.a.s and fitted it today.fingers crossed ,all seems well at this stage.hopefully the missus will make it back from the supermarket.the harmonic balancer bolt is a tough little bastard isnt it.had to borrow a rattle gun with a bit more grunt than mine.smooth sailing after that.thanks again,grover

F

fred

Hi all
I too need to fit a CAS to my VS. Is the harmonic balancer mounted on a taper or a parrallel mount. Will I need a puller to remove or should it just slide off after removing the bolt.

Any help much appreciated

G

grover

there is no taper on the crank fred.you will need a puller,but not the usual sort of harmonic balancer puller.i have a hydraulic puller with 10 ton ram and a couple of long arms on it.done it easy.undoing the bolt was the hard bit.not like an early holden,nowhere to poke a screwdriver through to stop it turning.a good quality rattle gun is the way to go.

F

fred

Thanks grover

Did you grip the puller on the outer rim behind the belt track i.e stressing the rubber section, or will this tear the rubber.

Cheers

fred

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE nowhere to poke a screwdriver through to stop it turning.a good quality rattle gun is the way to go.

Don't take this as gospel but you can remove the starter and jam a screw driver in the ring gear (Auto) or manual just put the car in gear-handbrake on.

Cheers

Jake