Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore misfiring

Tommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
my 1995 VS Commodore V6 (Ecotec) started misfiring the other day ...
I thought it was the fuel line which i cleaned out and changed the filter ..... nothing
Then i changed all the spark plugs as the old ones were due to be done .....nothing
i just swapped over the spark leads from my donor VS Berlina and it ran really well for a while and it just started misfiring again but not as bad
im curious what you guys think i should do next try buying some new spark leads or swap out the coil pack the only other thing i can think of is maybe the CO2 sensor
or maybe even taking out the injectors and cleaning them ...?
What are your thoughts ? any help would be greatly appreciated ....

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
How many k's on your VS and how old in k's were the plug leads from the donor Berlina? I would be looking into replacing the coils one at a time. Connector to the DFI module can be an issue but that's kinda rare. Auto elect could probably find the problem soon enough.

Tommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
alright cheers ill give the coils a go and if that doesnt fix it ill head down to my local auto elec

Tommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
update.....
no error codes are showing up
to date i have cleaned the fuel system and got a new filter, new spark plugs and leads, changed the coils and and the DFI module and i justtried swapping out the Co2 sensors and nothing......
Still not getting a check engine light

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
is it a consistent misfire? or very intermittent?

could be as simple as having put the leads into the wrong spot or not having connected up something correctly.
which I know personally I have done on a few occasions :p

Tommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
its only really under load below 1500 its ok and if i can get it up to 4500 it clears up a little but anywhere between there is carries on.
Correct me if im wrong but i bevel the firing order is
6-5
4-3
2-1
standing in front of the car
Just also note that the things i put on weren't new but the other car ran ok

Im thinking of trying to replace the fuel pump aswell i replaced it about 3 months ago but it was a cheap ebay job :/

Tommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
(REPOST) VS Commodore 3.6 ecotec missfiring under load

i have an active post on this already but i am reposting so i can start from scratch and so its easier to keep track of everything...
My vs commodore is misfiring under load i rev it in nuetral or in park and it rumbles a bit more than it should but the revs climb easily. It mainly playsup when trying to accelerate or climb a hill, when i first start it it runs well for a minute then pretty much dies, i have tried multiple things and so far nothing
First thing i did was buy new spark plugs
I then tried cleaning out the fuel tank and the got a new fuel filter i couldnt clean out the lines cause i dont have to tool to disconnect them
I then replaced the spark leads which i got from my other VS (they read alright on the multi meter)
I then changed the coil packs from the other VS and after that failed i tried the DFI module
i also changed the Co2 sensors and the air flow sensor and checked all the wiring for those which is fine
i replaced the fuel pump about 3 months ago but that was just a cheap ebay job
So i am going to try replacing the fuel pump for the one from my other VS
I might try disconnecting the fuel line and blowing them out and if that doesnt work ill try checking the injectors ....
If anyone else has any ideas on what to check id love to hear about it haha im abut to put an axe through my car....
I have tried disconnecting all the injector plugs one at a time and all of them make the engine idle rougher ....
Any input would be greatly appreciated

Tommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore
UPDATE
today while i was driving in heavy traffic my car got pretty hot and it ran as smooth as the day i got it but when i hit the highway it cooled down and started screwing up again ....