Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore plastic brake booster in VH commodore

VHCOMMO87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/X
Hey all just wondering if the vs commodore plastic brake booster is a direct fit into a VH commodore? Also will the 1" master cylinder I am currently running fit onto the vs booster?

Cheers Tom.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I did this conversion when fitting 4 pot calipers to my vh. You will require the brake booster from a vs v6. It is not a straight bolt. If it has not been covered on this forum search the internet and you will find a detailed description of what has to be done. Sorry I can't be of any more help as it is many years since I did my conversion.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Normally the whole idea of going to the VS plastic booster route, is to upgrade of the Gen 1 Commodore front braking system to that of Gen 3 ie VT.

So; VT front calipers & rotors (hubs & new hoses required), VT master cylinder (fast fill type, also requires a Ford reservoir to keep the fluid level) which bolts to the VS plastic booster, which bolts directly into the Gen 1 Commodore. (External push rod on VS booster needs to be trimmed (plenty of info on this task available on this website), adopters required to enable the Generation 1 brake pipes to screw into the VT master cylinder). The VT calipers are a twin piston type, which require more volume of fluid to work, hence the 1 1/4" first phase of the VT master cylinder. Due to the light weight of the early commodores a fully functioning std rear disc brake set is normally sufficient, (invest in some good pads both front & rear, choose dependant on your driving style). You need 15inch minimum wheel size to clear the VT caliper/rotor package.

If you are not going to upgrade the front braking system, stick with the original 1" master cylinder & booster. There are VL turbo finned front calipers which are a small upgrade from standard.

The braking transformation once done is amazing.

Fonzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vc vu
Hey mate I’m trying to do the same modification to my vc have u had any luck finding a detailed description of what to do ?

Bill Sardelis

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk 5.0
Normally the whole idea of going to the VS plastic booster route, is to upgrade of the Gen 1 Commodore front braking system to that of Gen 3 ie VT.

So; VT front calipers & rotors (hubs & new hoses required), VT master cylinder (fast fill type, also requires a Ford reservoir to keep the fluid level) which bolts to the VS plastic booster, which bolts directly into the Gen 1 Commodore. (External push rod on VS booster needs to be trimmed (plenty of info on this task available on this website), adopters required to enable the Generation 1 brake pipes to screw into the VT master cylinder). The VT calipers are a twin piston type, which require more volume of fluid to work, hence the 1 1/4" first phase of the VT master cylinder. Due to the light weight of the early commodores a fully functioning std rear disc brake set is normally sufficient, (invest in some good pads both front & rear, choose dependant on your driving style). You need 15inch minimum wheel size to clear the VT caliper/rotor package.

If you are not going to upgrade the front braking system, stick with the original 1" master cylinder & booster. There are VL turbo finned front calipers which are a small upgrade from standard.

The braking transformation once done is amazing.
Hey Guys
I luv reading all the different posts and not sure if my messages are coming over.
So I’m building a VK 304 cruiser not massive HP just a nice sounding tough car .
I’ve been reading about all the VT front break upgrades and the twin piston type are easy to pick up as v6 or v8 are the same except for the HSV models.
My problem is everyone is saying the plastic V6 VS Booster is the pick of the bunch as it’s pretty much a straight forward swap.
So I’ve tried to get my hands on 1 locally which the Smithfield wreckers told me they had 1 but upon arrival and inspection they presented with a metal type and marked up VR .
So the bloke misunderstood my request and that’s all they had.
He wasn’t sure if it would work for me but thinks it’s the same as the VS Plastic type.
He was happy for me to take home and see if fits on the fire wall without fouling with anything around it and if not would be happy to return my money.
I preferred not to pull apart my original booster and mc as I might need the brakes working until a later date.
So if someone could please let me know should I hold off until I find a VS Plastic booster and which callipers I need.
Thanks I’m advance
First time using the forum for assistance.

Cheers