Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commodore poor fuel economy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Spac series 1, VN Calais series 1
Also just a question when I turn it on it always idles at around 900-1000rpms but when I take it for a drive and stop at the lights it’s always around 700-800 kinda hard to see the exact amount. Is it normal for it to idle at basically 1000rpms when you turn it on and haven’t driven it yet.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Just an update I fixed all the fuel leaks and tried turning it on but it refused to. I played around with the aftermarket fuel regulator for quite a while and never got it to work so I ended up putting the factory regulator back in but I put my spare regulator from a 95 VS I got a couple months ago at the wreckers. It now turns on just fine how it use to but will update if this regulator fixes my issues. Also I try to get all my parts from repco but some parts I get from eBay when repco does not have them or doesn’t have them in stock. I did get my o2 sensors from eBay but they were from a seller with thousands of reviews so I trusted them. Also I don’t think it burns much oil as it doesn’t blow any smoke unless it’s really cold outside and the car hasn’t been turned on that day. I was possibly planning on buying the MACE memcal as I’ve heard very good things and it also improving fuel economy. Also I drive it very nicely it rarely does above 2.5k rpm’s unless I need to get up to around 100 which doesn’t happen much.
i fitted a raceworks adjustable fpr dash 6 orb 8mm barb fittings 2 genuine holden v6 inlet hoses to get the correct ends of ebay and it all works and the ute fired strait up

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Is fuel pressure dynamic on the VS? I thought the vac line reduced fuel pressure when the vacuum was high and increased the pressure at low vacuum.
Vacuum-Pressure.jpg

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Does it reach operating temp & stay there with thermofan cyling on/off?

If engine is cold & stays that way for long periods can go through more fuel than it should...thermostat,cts or even thermofan getting stuck on can affect economy & performance.

Just got to keep messing around with it untill get lucky...most times when I've looked at a person's car it's junk brand parts that cause issues even if new.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Spac series 1, VN Calais series 1
Does it reach operating temp & stay there with thermofan cyling on/off?

If engine is cold & stays that way for long periods can go through more fuel than it should...thermostat,cts or even thermofan getting stuck on can affect economy & performance.

Just got to keep messing around with it untill get lucky...most times when I've looked at a person's car it's junk brand parts that cause issues even if new.
It reaches operating temperature and has the thermo fans going on and off at around half on the temp gauge. I also put a 82c thermostat in it almost a year ago. I think once I replace my fuel tank breather lines I may replace the O2 sensors again and buy them from repco instead of eBay this time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I bought NGK O2s from Repco cheaper than eBay and I had no issues with them. Both Delphi 02s failed, one was faulty a week after installing the other lasted 12 months. The NGK one was fine and lasted over two years and was going good when I sold the VR.

Reactions: Lex

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
VX here. I replaced an 82 degree thermostat with a 92 degree one. Fuel economy got better. (But not way better).
Usually get around 660 k's around town from a tank. Best was 800 but I had done a lot of country travel that week.
I'd be focusing on the FPR and return lines.
Done a compression check? I know the engine is not very old, but could be one cylinder low. Re the low k's engine, has it ever got good economy since it was recoed? Could be valve timing or a whole heap of things in that case.
Brakes dragging? Handbrake not adjusted correctly? Tyre pressure?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Runs hotter therefore leaner as long as it's not overheating.

When bleed/burp cooling system thermofan usually comes on at 3/4 mark...when properly bled temp gauge will hover between 1/2 & 3/4 driving & thermofan usually comes on sitting in traffic...that's what buick in manual v6 ute would do & it had better economy than the getz daily driver.

Was a shocker when got it barely did 150-200km per tank...in the end with everything fixed & custom memcal 9-10ltr/100m city/suburban & little bit of motorway every day to work.On highway did 8's which was impressive for ol' vp ute

Reactions: Lex