Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore Ute 5l manual wont grab 1st or reverse

brockkkk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Ute
Hi I’ve recently bought this Ute and it’s just having problems with first gear and reverse all the other gears work, old mate I bought it off put all new fluids in so I thought it might’ve had air in it I’m not sure sometimes they work and then they won’t just first and reverse all the others are good and it’s never happened before

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Get under and look at your shift linkage maybe its worn, see if you can shift it in first or reverse from under the car..

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
its a guessing game but could be clutch when it hard to get into gear what year was it made there are two different manual gear boxes vs came out with
is the clutch operated by cable (t5)or hydraulic (getrag)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Check or replace rubbers in shifter linkages might be perished.Other than that bleed hydraulic clutch setup then see how it goes.

Getrags are noisey clackers when got decent mileage on them so change oil in g/box.

Those are easier things to try first.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Try selecting second or fourth gear. Then move the lever straight into the gear that you want (first or reverse). Not a permanent solution but could make it a little easier for you in the short term if it works.