Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs commodore wagon front end problem

freeway29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Excutive
Hi all got a Vs wagon and got a problem and need to know what the part is called and how to replace the rubber in it, I think the part is called lower control arm castor or something here's the pics.

Attachments

• 2013-06-03 15.40.26.jpg
    2013-06-03 15.40.26.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 2013-06-03 15.40.49.jpg
    2013-06-03 15.40.49.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 343
  • 2013-06-03 15.41.00.jpg
    2013-06-03 15.41.00.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 312

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, lower control arm. The bush is actually called the front radius rod bush (its the back bush, as the radius rod has front and back bushes.). The old rubber bush needs to be pressed out with a press, and if you fit another new rubber bush, it will have to be pressed back into the arm. Nolathane brand bushes dont need to be pressed in, they will just fit in by hand, as they come in 2 pieces. Urethane (nolathane) type bushes last way longer than the rubber ones.. Its always best to do the bushes on both sides, as they will all pretty much be worn out like the one shown in your pic.
You can just remove the control arm yourself and take it to a workshop to have the new bush/bushes pressed in. This is the cheapest way to do it.

freeway29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Excutive
ok thanks heaps mate is there anyway I can get the old one out myself and if so how thanks.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
ok thanks heaps mate is there anyway I can get the old one out myself and if so how thanks.

As said above, if you get the nolathane ones they are a 2 piece bush which you can fit yourself without a press

freeway29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Excutive
I know that but how do I get the old ones out myself

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Vice, drill (with small bit), hammer, chisel, screwdriver, elbow grease and appropriate bad language.

Honestly do the lot while you're there, stands to reason if your LCA/caster looks like that it's all had it. I'm slowly building the pieces myself. Caster front and rear, LCA bushing, ball joints and strut tops. I'm only going in once.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Vice, drill (with small bit), hammer, chisel, screwdriver, elbow grease and appropriate bad language.

Honestly do the lot while you're there, stands to reason if your LCA/caster looks like that it's all had it. I'm slowly building the pieces myself. Caster front and rear, LCA bushing, ball joints and strut tops. I'm only going in once.

You can do all that, but in all honesty if you have a workshop close by it's usually easiest to just take it down and pay $10 or so to get it pressed out......takes a mechanic less than 5 minutes

freeway29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Excutive
thanks to all as tackled it today and fitted new rubbers and only took 30 minutes each side and all nice now thanks .