Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Commodore, WTF?!?!!???

Spudz

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 97 Vs Commodore
Ok so i was at the gfs house earlier tonight, went there in the vs commodore no problems whatsoever.. Until i went to leave.. I got in, tried to start it, and it sounded like the starter motor was jammed. Ignition came on, lights were working, stereo, everything. So i was there for about an hour trying to fix it.. Gave the starter a bit of a tap but it didn't work, i was so frustrated with it, I've had it almost 6 months and its never let me down before.. I had to be home, which was about 70km from where i was, so i ended up calling the Nrma see if they could do something. Anyways the guy got there and he asks me to try start 'er up and see whats goin on and there she goes, starts first time didn't miss a freakn beat. The guy looks at me like *Wtf* .. Then he pretends to do something and tightens me battery terminals and leaves. But yeah it was fine all the way home, stopped for fuel and she still fires up first go. Well i love spending $120 for a guy to watch me start my commodore. HELLZ YEAH!! I don't know, i think it just decided it wanted to be an a hole for a night. Or does it have a mind of its own? Has anything like this happened to anyone else??!?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I've had some problems with my Berlina. On and off, its not all the time, but the key just wont make anything happen.. or it rotates the motor like 3 times then stops.
Had some discussions on the forum about it, and narrowed it down to either the shifter switch or the key itself.

Moving the shifter back and forward sometimes worked. Removing the key and sticking it back in sometimes worked. It only ever happens when the engine is cold, its never happened when warm.

Someone suggested the key itself was dodgy, so I tried my spare key which has never been used, and the problem went away. Problem solved. But wait.. theres more. That was a couple months ago, had no further problem, till yesterday. Now its doing it again. Now I am going to replace the switch on the shifter that tells the car what gear its in. Hoping thats it, I am running out of options ...

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
the switch would be a cheaper start lol keys arent cheap

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
From the sounds of it im going to guess the following:
Lose/bad connection on the battery terminals.
Neutral safety switch.
Sticky starter motor solenoid.
The key forb isnt getting a good connection from the metal strip on the ignition.

So check connection on key forb.
If it does it again, push the gear up or down whilst turning the ignition and if it works, safety switch.
If not, get something heavy and tap the starter motor. If it starts, your starter motor.
If not, wiggle your battery terminals. If it starts its a bad connection.

None of that works, no idea.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
$100? never had to get one done, but I actually thought you would be looking at more than double that, so its pretty cheap.

I worked at a Toyota dealers, people used to get keys cut by Mr Minute or something then find that although the key opened the door, it didnt turn off the alarm or start the car :D then they would come to us and the service department charged them something like $270 to program the key...

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
From the sounds of it im going to guess the following:
Lose/bad connection on the battery terminals.
Neutral safety switch.
Sticky starter motor solenoid.
The key forb isnt getting a good connection from the metal strip on the ignition.

So check connection on key forb.
If it does it again, push the gear up or down whilst turning the ignition and if it works, safety switch.
If not, get something heavy and tap the starter motor. If it starts, your starter motor.
If not, wiggle your battery terminals. If it starts its a bad connection.

None of that works, no idea.

In my case, its definitely not the starter, battery or terminals. Sometimes it will turn over 3 times then just stop. Moving the gear lever can help, sometimes. Removing and replacing the key can do it, sometimes. Holding the key on and moving the shifter up and down sometimes works too. Or I can get pissed off at it, stick the keys in my pocket, go have a smoke, come back and stick the key in and drive it away. Its not consistent at all.

The only thing thats consistent, and the one that confuses me the most, is that it ONLY does it when cold. The only thing I can think of that could be affected by heat is the starter, but thats been replaced with a new one and no changes happened.

My best guess at the moment is that the safety switch is dodgy, or the actual key barrel may be to blame. I'm trying the switch next.