Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs common problems

old55

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs.s s2
Had mine 4 years 96 vs.s
Diff locked up at 100klm
was on gas to dear to keep going rip it of
gear box auto clutch

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
I'm considering buying a 95 VS Clubby...

Has 167klms, has exhaust and chip done at TBS...
Any particular problems anyone had with a 95 clubsport???

just doing my research... :p

lesovers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe Sedan, VS II Wagon
Problems with my VS (I still love my car and wouldn't give it up for anything)

1. Tyre shuddering at 100Kph, front hubs replaced (under warranty)
2. Wont drive as if in neutral, reconduction automatic box (under warranty)
3. Leaking power steering oil, hose faulty (under warranty)
4. Leaking power steering oil, seals in power steering pump
5. Differential noisy, new diff bearings, back wheel bearings etc
6. Loud bearing noise from engine when cold, new idler wheels on the engine belt
7. No Aircon or demister, engine start check relay faulty
8. Aircon no go, regas and service
9. Heater pipes near driver hot when on cold temperature setting, new heater shut-off vacuum switch
10. Engine wont start or wont turn engine over, new battery (every 3 years to the day !!!)
11. Battery not charging, battery charge wire on alternator corroded off.
12. Engine makes a loud shuttering noise when you take off fast, passenger side engine mount broken
13. One loud banging noise during side to side cornering, renew the front and back stabiliser link rubbers
14. Steering is wandering and passenger wheel loose, renew tie rod end.
15. Turning indicator will not automatically turn off, change the plastic horn power ring under the steering wheel
16. Changes to high beam intermittently, change the indicator, high beam switch
17. Indicator light no go, new flasher relay
18. Car won’t accelerate properly and lacks power, spark plug leads are loose on the plugs or coils, renew the sparkplug leads (I have a permanent solution for this problem)
19. Top roof lining is coming down, renew lining (new lining has better underlay)
20. Seat makes a ticking sound, take seat out and tighten bolts on either side
21. Steering is heavy when car is hot, new power steering pump
22. Loosing water when hot, renew radiator cap
23. Car shudders above 60kph, wheel rim out of shape, renew
24. Brake pads only lasting 20-30,000 Km, Cheap pads use the original GM pads
25. Oil leak from engine block on the passenger side, not worth fixing this problem
26. Radiator, engine belt and power steering hoses replaced every 3 years for preventative maintenance
27. Fished out each inside window seal (all six, two front and four back) from inside the doors and refitted with contact glue

Les

Last edited:

IMPSTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon V6
only had a few problems with my VS now has 245,000km's on the clock.
1. Climate Control keept on turning off by itself and wouldnt turn back on was a stupid relay $45
2. Radiator cracked on side tank fixed $140
3. Diff has alot of free-play in it fixed $650

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
leak in the boot
, have you tried the rear window seal. I struggled with the car dealer before i got them to fix that.

Easiest thing to do is put someone in the boot with a torch and hose away till they can see the leak.

central locking playing up on the rear doors some times.

make sure that the red indicator on the lock buttons are sitting in place properly. Sometimes they catch on the way down.

J

j-rock

Hmm, Jus got my power steering pump recond, they reckon its the bearings in it that f@*! out. My power steering never leaked, it jus had a whinning noise when turning a little.
As for the car not starting on first turn, then starting on the next 2 or 3 times, I heard it may be your remote control. Mine also does that but only when my man drives.
Car don't leak YET but had that problem with the VN I used to have. It ALWAYS leaked through the lights. Fixed that prob with some silicone.
Please does anyone know how to tighten the drive belt?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
j-rock said:
Hmm, Jus got my power steering pump recond, they reckon its the bearings in it that f@*! out. My power steering never leaked, it jus had a whinning noise when turning a little.
As for the car not starting on first turn, then starting on the next 2 or 3 times, I heard it may be your remote control. Mine also does that but only when my man drives.
Car don't leak YET but had that problem with the VN I used to have. It ALWAYS leaked through the lights. Fixed that prob with some silicone.
Please does anyone know how to tighten the drive belt?

The drive belt tensions itself, thats what the tensioner is for. Maybe your tensioner is stuffed, or the belt is just worn out.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Hmmm

Crank angle sensor :
Coil ...

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
DAN87 sounds like you have a dual mass flywheel, which means there are 2 pieces to your flywheel coupled with a fluid centre. These flywheels were designed to reduce driveline shock and vibration, and because they are free to move around to an extent they can't be machined flat.

With the boot leaks quite a few of you guy's have, you'll need two people for this operation, a hose that can reach to your boot and a good torch. One person hops into the boot and closes it while the other runs the hose round the edge of the boot (or windscreen) where the seal contacts so the person in the boot can locate where the water leak is comming from.

I've seen the boots leak at the bottom edge of the rear windscreen where they rust out, also i've seen leaks present on the rubber where their is no visible rips in the seal. There are 2 fixes for this, either use a rubber malet or a piece of wood and a steel head hammer and tap the affected area up to give a better seal,
also i've seen the water leak past the seal through where the seal clips/pushes onto and i've used windscreen sealant(black mastic) to seal the area where the seal pushes onto and usually this fixes the problem but can make it hard to remove the boot seal at a later date so only use the sealer in affected areas.

toodles

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS
1. Roof lining sagging (reglued $100)
2. Air-con belt tension pulley bearing seized. Killed drive belt (about $40 all up plus beer)
3. Brake caliper seized on slides. Uneven pad wear - bit of grease, a hammer and a spanner = all good
4. Transmission failed completely in about 30 mintes from power delivery issue. New transmission = $1500
5. Steering bushes are pissweak... need replacing pronto to avoid uneven tyre wear and handling problems.
6. Door and window seals come loose.
7. Alternator + wire burns away quickly. Keep an eye on it.