Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS dash removal???

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Hello guys, I know that their are a few post's about this however I'm really looking for a video or step by step photo instructions on how to remove the whole dash out, as I would like to change the color from the grayish color to black if i can but i want to take it out to do the job properly, if anyone has any advice or has done it themselves and can help me out that would be great thanks :)

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Yeah mate I can help as I did my Stato dash conversion recently.
Now this is how I did it, and of course there'll be other ways but it comes down to the person whom is doing the work.

-Remove steering wheel and steering column covers, Drivers side kick panel and glove box.
-remove radio and instrument shroud and upper and lower covers ( don't worry too much about moving the gear stick shroud in your case)
-Then undo the air vent plastics closest to the windscreen. a long thing screwdriver and very short thin screwdriver (phillips) will work
-Take cluster shroud off, unplug rear demist, A/C, and hazard switches from this also
-Take Tacho cluster out

working now from passenger to drivers side to keep things simple.

take screws out of of passenger side vent holes with in the dash, remove this plastic piece
continuing down the dash side of near the door hinges are there should be a 10mm bolt that will need to be removed.
take screws out from clove box area (top, bottom, and radio side) topside the screws hide under the dash lip where the glove box door lip meets up with it, also the plastic screws on the bottom and metal screws on the side that hold in this plastic piece in will need to be taken out.
Follow the screws along the dash board lip all the way to drivers side and remove them.
On drivers side unscrew the fuse panel frame from the door hinge side part of the dash, also remove screws from air vent hole drives side. Remove also plastic kick panel far right hand side of drivers foot area.
unclip wires re distmist a/c etc using needle nose pliers from middle of dash cavity where central air vents are
the blue and orange tacho plugs can be pulled out then twisted and turned to be pushed through there holes
The wires on drives side the fuse panel that clip up against near drivers door hinges will need to be take out of there, just on the other side of that black metal piece like the passenger side there'll be a 10mm bolt and take it out.
Last take out 10mm bolts near windscreen...

I know i've probably missed a couple of screws and what not, however taking a dash out is easy... Putting it back in is hard!!! hence the removal of steering wheel. best to have 2 people around just in case you get stuck with putting it back in.

If you require pics I have a dash board that I have sitting in my shed that was taken out, I can take a pic and upload it for you so that you can get an idea of what's what and see what is actually attached that need to be removed.

Hope this helps mate.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Trust me when I say it sounds like a lot more work than it actually is. Personally when I first did this I had the dash out in a morning, however took me an arvo and the NEXT morning to put it back... missing screws here and there etc, it was a nightmare... However if you label all screws from specific areas and put them in containers that will help greatly, second doing this yourself is probably the best way to come to know your car a lot better. And finally the satisfaction of a job well done is something that we can all stand back and admire no matter what it is. The confidence boost this gives you to do other things just keeps building upon itself.
I'll upload the removed dash from my car I'll try and mark out the points in which attention should be paid to the most. :)

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Ok so this is pretty basic and only acts as a visual guide to to final removed piece. If you focus on just what you see in the pics then hopefully other things won't take away your focus.
Let me know if you need clarification :)

Attachments

• IMG-20141108-00069 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20141108-00069 (Large).jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 2,429
  • IMG-20141108-00070 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20141108-00070 (Large).jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 1,749
  • IMG-20141108-00071 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20141108-00071 (Large).jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 1,622

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
Thank you soo much :) it feels very nice when people actually spend time to help other's and makes me feel like i need to do the same :) i might have a friend just for moral support though ahahah, also completely different story and question but you seem very witty with these vs ute's so do you know if the rear right window was smashed by my brother :mad: does it need to be brand new cut and fitted by let's just say o'brian or can i get a second hand one fitted thanks :)

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Hey mate,
I answer questions or ask questions with honesty and accuracy. The desire is to have at least helped someone in my position or at least have someone help me in my position and that they understand. At any rate I'm glad that you've taken away something from my information provided I hope in future that your able to do the same for someone else in the future :)

Anyways topic at hand... From a point of rule! always new glass!. Reason being that because automotive glass is layered with multiple layers of glass and well as perspex I would fear that second hand windscreens or any automotive glass for that matter, would have stress built up in certain points with in the glass/perspex layers that may make it susceptible to premature fracture if fitted to a different vehicle.
That being said, I've also used second glass in the past when funds weren't there and never had an issue. I'm afraid this is something only you can decide.
Good luck :)
p.s. Thanks for the kinds word mate. Appreciate it! Means a lot when someone takes something away!

Edit: sorry windscreens are layered, side windows are shatter proof... In which case I personally don't see an issue with second hand glass. :)

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
Ohh and I need to state! I don't actually know much about Commodore Utes...
It's unfortunate to say but I've never owned one, worked on one, or anything... And it sucks...

Now, because there are soooooooo many similarities to those with column shift commodores and (generally speaking), most other optioned gearboxes in Ute's, It's basically a migration of information to what I already know as being the same...

In a VS V6 Ute versus a VS sedan; If they were both the same "gearbox" option then they'd be identical up until the Ute becomes a Ute... (The Tray and rear window at the back begins, and where the sedan simply spaces out to a rear 3 seats) :p
For me to assume based on prior learning with a Ute is arrogant for sure! However I wouldn't feel right giving anyone false or misleading information (For future reference). There for I am just wanting to make sure that you know I have ZERO UTE experience :)
Honesty is the best medicine :)

Just don't ask me anything about manuals... I wouldn't have enough to back myself :p

VSJas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6
Also it may pay to take photos of areas where there a numerous screws and clips for a quick reference to install and not miss anything.