Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs dash upgrade

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
dont the level 3 loms have 4 harnesses and the level 1 nd 2 have 3? and how do you set the odo? does it have internal memory or does the ecu store the odo reading?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
hi just asking have read alot on this site about level 3 dash changes for vs and looks easy in a sedan but is all the wiring the same for a vs s3 s pak ute ??

i've got most of the gear to do it just checking if same

thanks for any help

The basic layout is the same - but for the rear demister plug is taped to the loom in the utes.

The splicing in of the 4th plug is the same for all looms tho.

There are several looms used in the VR/VS cars - L1 with no speed alert, L2 with speed alert, SS loom with a few wires missing for a plug in the glove box and this loom has the spot light plug in it.

But all the gauges are wired up the same as in the 3 coloured dash plugs.

ZakkForrest

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series 3 Ute "Holly"
Hey guys, hoping someone reads this, I have a stage 1 cluster and I'm swapping it over to the stage 2, is there anything to do specifically or is it plug and go? Cheers guys!

Tweetbix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evo VI
plug and go. no modification needed from lvl 1 to lvl 2

dougdanger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS2 v6 Ute
ok VS guru's, newbie here .. be gentle ;) ..

I have a VS2 v6 column shift auto ute with a broken cluster/gbox/axle :(

I bought a damaged VS3 v6 column shift auto ute and have swapped the eng/gbox/axle out with no issues.

Now im trying to swap the cluster over and have run into difficultys :/
I pulled the dash out and swapped the dash looms/BCM/ECM modules/Cluster/trip over and now i have no cluster/IP/parking lights and none of the cluster lcd panels display any info. the VS3 already has the extra wire in it.
The analoge speedo/tacho/tmp etc work fine.

I've searched this site and seen many different combinations of explanations and diagrams and now im more confused than ever !
So, i have all of the VS3 parts in my car except the main loom.

Can someone please give a clear description of the next steps i need to do ?

Thanks in advance, Doug.

p.s. im in Kilmore, Vic

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Are you sure you put the 3 instrument connectors that sit in dash in the right way around ? Also are you sure you pushed no 4 plug in the all the way into dash until it clicks ... so are the grey/ black /white plugs pushed all the way into their connectors ? Did you swap head light switches over?
Trouble the dashes without the trip computer were in cars with the stock air con and low bcm and the trip dash were in climate control equipped cars with a high lever bcm... In those l3 equipped cars the instrument light dimming go through the bcm .
The exects go through a resistor in light switch so the light switches are different too between the 2 levels

dougdanger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS2 v6 Ute
Are you sure you put the 3 instrument connectors that sit in dash in the right way around ? Also are you sure you pushed no 4 plug in the all the way into dash until it clicks ... so are the grey/ black /white plugs pushed all the way into their connectors ? Did you swap head light switches over?
Trouble the dashes without the trip computer were in cars with the stock air con and low bcm and the trip dash were in climate control equipped cars with a high lever bcm... In those l3 equipped cars the instrument light dimming go through the bcm .
The exects go through a resistor in light switch so the light switches are different too between the 2 levels

Hi Markovr :
I'm pretty sure the connectors in the back of the cluster are in correct .. and the connector under the cluster and the connectors to the BCM etc are all pushed into place.
I swapped the light switch over (had the same part number and looked the same) and no difference.
Both Utes have the same Aircon system and ive tried both sets of modules and still no luck.

Cheers, Doug .

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Hi Markovr :
I'm pretty sure the connectors in the back of the cluster are in correct .. and the connector under the cluster and the connectors to the BCM etc are all pushed into place.
I swapped the light switch over (had the same part number and looked the same) and no difference.
Both Utes have the same Aircon system and ive tried both sets of modules and still no luck.

Cheers, Doug .

If you have no displays on the trip computer there is either no power on the orange wire or there is a earth problem on the black/ white wire... So you could test between those 2 wires on instrument plug 4 for 12v dc to get a start on that part ... Do both cars have climate control and high series bcms ?