Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS didn't want to start?

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Howdy all. Got a question. Parked the good old vs ecotec today for work, came back tonight to leave and go home. Car didn't want to start at all! The ignition lights and radio and fuel pump all started, then when i went to turn her over, radio went blank and nothingness...car went dead. I had the starter motor done just last month, and the battery was also done not long ago as well. When the starter motor was done, the alternator was also checked and was fine. The only other thing i can really say about it was that the car was parked on a slight angle (ass end pointing down towards gutter) and was sitting in the one spot from 7:30am until 4:30pm. Took me around 5 minutes to finally start and when it did, the only way it kicked in was i held the key in starting position and then practically half a second later the starter kicked in. I don't know if it's any significance but i also turned the radio off just before it didn't manage to start? Could it possibly be my battery AGAIN? Another thing that may have some relevance, my old man used to own the car and a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG time ago when the car was still new'ish (talking 8 years ago) it used to be tempermental and didn't want to start in "park", and had to start it in "neutural" on a few occasions.

Input would be great,
Cheers all,
Boojakz.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
could be your key head not making proper contact to the metal strip on the ignition

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
yeah my parents' vr does exactly the same. i just turn the key back to lock, and push the key into the hole with a bit of strength, and try again. teh most it will ever take to start is about 3 goes. also, click the lever on the gearstick (as you would when changing from P to D) and jiggle the gearstick around in P (the gearstick should move a couple of millimetres forward when it's in park) they MAY help. but i'd say what andyman said sounds correct, the little silver dot on the key not making proper contact with the the strip on the ignition barrel.