Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs diff ute are they the sameas sedan or wagon

peterfishboat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr vs vz
hey can someone in the no tell me if all tracking in diffs are same as i have a ute im doing up and needs diff . i have a wagon as well for parts but would like to keep it complete so can i buy a sedan diff or not . any advise would be great. cheers

pcrabbit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Statesman + T5
hey peterfishboat
from what i know the wagon and ute diffs mount up the same [non irs] as they share the same floor pan, the diff centres should be interchangable on all live axel diffs [non irs], maybe different ratios ? the sedan diff housing has the shocky mounts in a different position. and i'm pretty sure all independant diffs [irs] are interchangable
hope this helps cheers

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
there different, the ute diff has brackets that the bump stops hit where the s/wagon one dont, and as pcrabbit said sedans have different shock mounts.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
As stated, ute and wagon rigid diffs are identical and completely interchangable. Compared to a sedan rigid diff, the ute/wagon has a greater track width, different shock mounts and different bump stops. Crownwheel and pinion is interchangable between the 3 mentioned.

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
wagon and ute have different bumpstops, wagon use same bump stops as sedan, where the ute has a bigger one and the ute has a platform on the diff for the bump stop to contact.

monarols71

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series11 Ute
I think all VS utes with single spinners had V8 diff internals in them regardless of engine and used synthetic oil the same as LSDs. Slight differences in the housings also. Check the tag on the diff.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
As far as the solid axle's....Ute's and Wagon's share the same axle housing/rear bar...adjusted for the different mounting requirements of the wagon and the ute wheelbase and chassis. Sedan is different.

Ute's and Wagon's didn't have IRS, but every sedan IRS diff unit is interchangeable...(as long as it's a VS one)

Tinyvs6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Botanica mica green Vs v6 ute
Dragging up an old thread but has anyone found a problem using a sedan lsd center in a ute housing with the standard ute axels?