Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs door mold damage

97VSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE
Hey guys a couple weeks back i decided to remove the ugly bumb strips off my vs, they came off alright but they also brang away the paint with then, i also am now left with a silicon strip there too. I dont know whether to buy a calais chrome strip to cover it up or should i just get it resprayed? Any suggestions would be appreciated also its an executive.

Thanks
Will

brend94vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore executitve, manual vn executive
i reckon chrome man, i wldnt not have them im going to change mine soon

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
i resprayed mine, To get the silastic stuff off i used MEK but i ended up just using a blow torch and a scraper, thats works brilliant if ya wanna respray. but if not then i'd say just dont go as extreme as me and use a heat gun and scraper thats the technique i used to get my S pack skirts off a wreck.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I hated the things and am respraying the car anyway. I used thinners to soften it a little, then scraped and sanded for 4 hrs. PITA. I wish I had thought of a torch, I think that would have worked better for sure.

I guess there must be some kind of solvent that works though, maybe ask a panelbeater who will have had to remove lots of em at some point.

I don't think putting new ones over the top is going to work, they are going to sit too proud and probably not very flat if you don't remove the old adhesive first. Unless you can find a magic chemical that just dissolves the crap, I'm betting you finish up with a lot of work and a respray.