Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs drivers door won't open

Keegan keel

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs aclaim
G'day I've got a 96 vs commodore and I went to unlock it the other day and the door wouldn't work it sounded like it unlocked but the door hand wouldn't open the door so I did what I had to get in cause thankfully the boot still unlocks I've gotten in and pulled it apart and still no progress any idea on what it could be

Here is my observations when pulling apart
* outside door handle used to feel loose to open before failure
* when i pulled the door hanle out the little plastic peice with the rod to the handle fell apart at the mechanism end inside the door itself

I Have got another door to pull apart if I have to replace parts just need to know what the issue is

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
When you say you went to unlock it, did you mean using the remote, or did you mean using the key? If you used the remote, did any of the other doors unlock?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I'm thinking your talking about drivers door? If the unlock actuator is jammed because of handle broken it will not unlock your other doors as its governed by your master door so if it stays down so do the rest, remove the push rod on the actuator at less then your other doors should open.

Keegan keel

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs aclaim
I'm thinking your talking about drivers door? If the unlock actuator is jammed because of handle broken it will not unlock your other doors as its governed by your master door so if it stays down so do the rest, remove the push rod on the actuator at less then your other doors should open.

Yeah drivers door and all over doors open once 8 got in the car and unlocked them but the drivers is still locked

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Is it getting power to the actuator on the drivers door? Should be able to use a test light on the harness and once you push the button the light should flash, if its not then the wire between door jam could be broken. If its getting power then test the actuator if its not working replace it, to adjust it in the open position unloosen the clamp making sure your door snip is fully up then retighten it.

Keegan keel

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 vs aclaim
I've got the door to open now by removing the plastic cover over the lock put in a new handle now just battling with the clip got a cable tie in it for now

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4

Not in my experience. I've had problems with my driver's door actuator from time to time. When you press the remote button it sometimes sticks down, but the other doors will open if you press the remote button again. You can then open the driver side passenger door and force the button up and down a few times. Then everything works OK (for a while). Solution was to replace the actuator. Note that you don't need to replace the whole lock unit/actuator, just the actuator itself. The actuators are the same for every door.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
So that means if you are going to get actuators second hand, always get them from the RHR door as that's generally the one that gets used the least even though when you open any of the others all 3 secondary doors will actuate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Or you just spend 30 bucks and 3hrs and fit an aftermarket kit, at least that's what I did.