Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS driveshaft centre bearing

chasha15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi guys,

I need to replace the driveshaft centre bearing on my 1996 VS 6cyl/manual ute. I've spent some time searching this forum, youtube, and the workshop manual and i'm getting conflicting information. I do understand that you need to mark everything so that you can re-assemble in the right orientation with correct balancing, but i'm confused about:

1. Do i need to remove the entire driveshaft (transmission to diff) before i start contemplating removing the centre bearing? or can one section and not the other be kept attached to the car?

2. Do i need to disassemble the CV joint (6 bolts, circlip) to be able to remove the centre bearing? or can I do what i've seen on youtube and just hammer the front driveshaft out, achieving access to the bearing, and then re-hammer the spline back in after replacing the centre bearing?

3. will the old centre bearing slide off the driveshaft or will it require a press? hammer?

4. how do you fit the new bearing to its driveshaft? will it slide on by hand, do you need a press, or is a hammer ok? direction-wise is there only one way it fits or is there something to keep in mind? any lubricant required?

Thanks

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I thought some of the Youtube videos were very good and showed the process from start to finish which should have answered most of your questions.

chasha15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi BlackVX,

As explained earlier there are conflicting pieces of info when you compare the youtube vid (VX-VZ i believe, not VS) with the workshop manual.

Can you shed any light on any of the questions i have? VX different to VS perhaps?

Thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I doubt a press is required. It will be easier to operate on the bearing if you pull the whole shaft out but if you can do it by removing only half then go for it.
The yoke should just slide off the splines after you have undone all the bolts from the rear uni and centre mount.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
1. Definitely easier out of the car.
2. Yea 6 bolts and remove the circlip.
3. It may require some force, I've used a slide hammer to help shift it.
4. It will slide on, however you will need to pack the bearing with the supplied grease.

it's not a hard job but it is fiddly.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
When you say "workshop manual" which one are you referring to? I can send you the instructions from the VS Series Service manual if this will help you. Just send me a PM (now called a conversation) with your email address, and I'll send you some PDF files - too large to load onto the forum.

chasha15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
excellent, thanks guys. I will have a go at it this weekend, weather permitting.

BlackVX i was unable to find any link to send a PM. I'm referring to Haynes 41742 manual. if you'd like please send PDF to me at csha12345 at gmail

thanks mate

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Don't forget to mark all joints you disassemble with a punch or permanent marker - if you don't it you may end up with vibrations.

Good Luck.