Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ECO tec Fires up runs then dies

youknowmelyricz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs comodore ex
Hi Guys,
I am stummped here .... Driving home other day & vs eco tec died !! started again but only for 7 seconds..Today I have checked fuel pump,filter & spark all that works fine!! ... AFter I done those checks It started and ran for 2 mins(idle) then died..I then started it streight back up n it ran for 1 min. Started it streight back up again ran for 3 mins then I thought id see how it went under load(thinking it was fixed) then the enevitable happend.. DIED!!!!! the spark seems fine,no errors came up on diognostic,& from what i could see the fuel pump was pumping !! ANY IDEAS... would be great guys.. Cheers in advance.. Dan

wackywheelz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega V6
Clean/check/change the fuel filter (near the diff - relieve fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump relay/fuse while its running, the engine will use its leftover fuel then stall). Could also be stuffed fuel regulator. Try priming it a few times - turn the key to ON, listen for the fuel pump to prime, then turn it off - repeat a few times without starting it, then start it and see if it makes any difference in running times.

gazza2881

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS STATESMAN V8
VP V8 into VS V6 Statesman wiring problem.

Hello im new here but was wondering if someone could help me, the clips there are two that come of engine loom they go to drivers side under bonnet on VS they are up right in the corner on VP they are down near relays. One clip is a total match other is similar we have traced these back to ecm 12v perm and injector power also is hooked up, can some one shed some light on this.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hello im new here but was wondering if someone could help me, the clips there are two that come of engine loom they go to drivers side under bonnet on VS they are up right in the corner on VP they are down near relays. One clip is a total match other is similar we have traced these back to ecm 12v perm and injector power also is hooked up, can some one shed some light on this.
Mate you gotta click on "new thread" under the VR-VS heading to post a new thread.This thread is about someone elses problem they are trying to get some answers for .And you will need to be more specific and explain what you are talking about.eg- Is it a clip or an electrical wiring plug you are talking about.Cheers.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
youknowmelyricz, It could be the CAS(crank angle sensor).It sounds like something it would cause when it is stuffed.Sometimes they don't set an error code either.If you dont find anything else wrong,it might be worth trying a new one.Its a fairly common problem.

rodnirene

Reaction score
Members Ride
ecotec VS ute
Sounds like the crank angle sensor to me. Had it happen on a VR a couple of times. First time it happened the car stalled & started & ran no problems, then started happening more regularly, then like you have described. If you dont know what you're doing, get the mechanic to do it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Usually if it dies instantly with no splutters or final kicks then it will be ignition.
But if it dies fighting with a few kicks etc it is usually fuel related. Apart from the checks mentioned in other posts I'd check the fuel pump relay. If you have recently degreased or washed the engine it could also be the oil pressure switch - this powers the fuel pump once the engine is running.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds like CAS, if it does it again try pouring water over the crank angle sensor and see if it starts and runs ok for a while? if it does its defo the CAS water over them can be a temp fix sometimes to get you home. A new one is only around $50 and about 15 mins to fit.

youknowmelyricz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs comodore ex
Clean/check/change the fuel filter (near the diff - relieve fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump relay/fuse while its running, the engine will use its leftover fuel then stall). Could also be stuffed fuel regulator. Try priming it a few times - turn the key to ON, listen for the fuel pump to prime, then turn it off - repeat a few times without starting it, then start it and see if it makes any difference in running times.

fuel pump OK,check valve OK, regulator holding 75 psi,vacume hose no petrol in it,OK ...

youknowmelyricz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs comodore ex
youknowmelyricz, It could be the CAS(crank angle sensor).It sounds like something it would cause when it is stuffed.Sometimes they don't set an error code either.If you dont find anything else wrong,it might be worth trying a new one.Its a fairly common problem.

Ok... grabbed a spare moduel out the cubboard took old coil packs off old moduel & put them on my spare moduel(with no heat grease :bomb: ) cranked engine over and got ignition & away I went(day 3 mind you) but it idel'd like it had a mild cam in it(sounded cool but yea :spew:) So id say i was frying the moduel as I had not applied no heat grease...Drove the car to drop Daughter sleep over friend off to her moms,get into her driveway & the process started all over again...I was Like :hmmm: ... stummped & baffled again I phoned old m8 at the wreckers to understand that moduels need heat grease in between coils & moduel. I then :idea3: AHUH!! , new moduel(normally wreckers sell it as a unit, moduel + coils) So I grabbed second hand moduel + coils replaced old onee & ........:beer chug: BINGO!! no worrys problem solverd... The good thing here is I never spent any money on replacing nothing I never needed to ..... Thanks guys for your insight... merry xmas!!

Regards Dan