Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec Blowups

hemi01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 V6 Berlina
I'm thinking of upgrading from VN V6 to VS V6 and have noticed that there are many VS ecotecs with blown up engines around.

They have low Kms (200-300 000) and often say Oil Pump failure or Big End bearing failure.

Is this a common fault with ecotecs in a VS? VTs don't seem to suffer.

I'd hate to get rid of the reliable old Buick for a neater car with a suspect engine.

Thanks, Mick

schteven

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
my vs ment to have 170 on motor and done head gasket

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
im with vs-6 just keep it well serviced and keep an eye out for any small problems that can cause big issues.

Mystro1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
My VS has done total 230k's and its on its third engine, first was done before i got the car (NFI why either and was never told about it) second just ate s**t and died one day (Reco that had 2 years left on warranty that the company didnt honor as it had changed hands :( ) and now a lovley new reco. I have heard all to many people with blown VS engines but then there are thousands and thousands that never have a problem 400000k later... just bad luck or bad ownership, one or the other.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
keep up regular oil changes and keep it off the limiter should last many thousands of km's

tully2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon Manual
When the VS was launched, Holden in it's wisdom developed what they called "a lose motor" to try and increase fuel economy. Problem was they used a lot of oil and a lot failed. So they brought out, larger piston and rings and head kits to fix the problem. This I found out from a service manager at the local dealer. Maybe the later the VS the better!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
When the VS was launched, Holden in it's wisdom developed what they called "a lose motor" to try and increase fuel economy. Problem was they used a lot of oil and a lot failed. So they brought out, larger piston and rings and head kits to fix the problem. This I found out from a service manager at the local dealer. Maybe the later the VS the better!

my vs calais drinks @ least a 1-2litres of oil a month its ridiculous:( and the motor is only @ 200xxx and its getting a rattly top end! But im not that concerned as long as it gets me from A2B for the next 2 months then the L67 goes in:dance::D

tully2007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Wagon Manual
That should be "loose" motor, missed an "o".

hemi01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 V6 Berlina
Thats interesting and might explain why so many fail with oil pressure/ supply problems.

Sounds like the Ecotec wasn't fully developed prior to release. And owners are still paying the price 15 years later.