Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec Blowups

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
200k out of a motor is good going in my books!!! Think back to the EH era of 186 motors. How many of these bad boys would have lasted 200k of thrashing at the power levels we have today without a rebuild or two ???

vsiicalais

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6 Storm
my vs v6 ecotec is still going very strong after 600,000+ km with out rebuilds or anything. Not much has been replaced on it considering its now 14 years old and gets thrashed regularly. Was thrashed from day 1 till now.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
The Ecotec was a bloody great motor. If they fail it comes down to not being looked after. My first VS had 384,000kms on it when I sold it and it was all original. Yeah, some of the series one VS's used a bit of oil but not dramatically. Pick up a series two that has a service history and you'll be right.

getmymackon

getmymackon
Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Berlina & 95 VS Executive
Hey guys
I have been reading your threads with interest and have a couple of questions myself.

1. My VS V6 engine light has just started coming on today. It seems to happen if the car is idling while in drive and she sounds a bit rough around the edges (so to speak). What should I be checking for and where should I be checking? She has only done 165k on the clock and has had a regular service and tranny service in Jan this year. Oil and filter were changed 2 weeks ago.

2. My heater works intermittently and was wondering if this is a loose wire or something more obscure???

Any replies would be great :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
200k out of a motor is good going in my books!!! Think back to the EH era of 186 motors. How many of these bad boys would have lasted 200k of thrashing at the power levels we have today without a rebuild or two ???

Gees man oil has improved alot since then :). If you don't get 500k+ out of a large engine now with modern oils something is going way wrong. But your right the Holden 6 way back when running on oil straight out of the dirt was lucky to make 220,000ks before it was blowing smoke. All the failed ecotecs I've seen tend to have overheated would have to be mostly the owners fault

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Gees man oil has improved alot since then :). If you don't get 500k+ out of a large engine now with modern oils something is going way wrong. But your right the Holden 6 way back when running on oil straight out of the dirt was lucky to make 220,000ks before it was blowing smoke. All the failed ecotecs I've seen tend to have overheated would have to be mostly the owners fault

Did my first motor from over-revving it. 6200rpm raised limit LOL. 2nd motor was a mistery to me. Spun a cam bearing, was a AC Delco rebuild and did look as though the bearing had spun before 1st rebuild. Lucky number 3 here we come.