Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec engine into vp?

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
sircruisealotVS said:
well no offense mr_slim...but there's f*ck all manuals about (in v6's), so its usually a safe bet to assume its an auto thats being talked about.

i guess i'm just special then :yeah:

cracker

Reaction score
i looked in to this some time ago, it could work use vn computer and have it repogramed, set up a kick down cable for the auto trans, eningne bolts in, problay need a little bit of custom ehxuats work though its do able

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
vt1538 said:
Originally they said that I could use the ASBY memcal from the SV3800 but now they have canned that. I am on the lookout now for the BABR 3575 or BAAM0265 which they are getting good results from in WA.
Which of the early VN memcals are you talking about? It would be good to compare them on a dyno to the later ones I just mentioned.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll make a post comparing them all :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Ok I had a look at them all, no real need to make a new thread about it.
The common VN memcal ATFY, is probably the best for you or possibly ATBH, if you wanted a slightly little bit more fuel but you sacrafice some spark advance over ATFY in the mid/high range, both of those should smoke any other the VP memcals you mentioned as they both run 4 degrees more spark than any of the detuned VP programs almost throughout the rev range and ATFY totals at 30 degrees.

My VN came with ATFY and its very close to the the SV3800 tune in terms of go fastness

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
greenfoam said:
Ok I had a look at them all, no real need to make a new thread about it.
The common VN memcal ATFY, is probably the best for you or possibly ATBH, if you wanted a slightly little bit more fuel but you sacrafice some spark advance over ATFY in the mid/high range, both of those should smoke any other the VP memcals you mentioned as they both run 4 degrees more spark than any of the detuned VP programs almost throughout the rev range and ATFY totals at 30 degrees.

My VN came with ATFY and its very close to the the SV3800 tune in terms of go fastness
Thanks a lot for that Greenfoam. I will have a look for those memcals & see what I can come up with. Since for speedway the engine is running at the top of the rev range, do you think it is possible to rotate the interrupter rings on the balancer & use the ATBH memcal to gain the extra fuel & return some of the advance in the spark?
The engine will rarely see life under 4500 rpm so idle quality & low rpm power is no issue.

phat vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs acclaim
hey
question i have a ecotec motor out of a vs an want to bolt it up 2 my vp auto in a vp can i still run my auto an my computer wit the performance chip in it to..hope sum1 can help cheers phat vp

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
To run the ecotec you need a VS computer, and the VS computer will want to run the electronic box, not the VP gearbox, so in short - no.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
personal choice i wouldn't bother especially if ya hard on it the ecotec is week as far as im concerned knowing 2 different people that have had pistons fail with in the same year that they bought the cars stick with the Buick there far better built for load but keep in mind there still only a v6 maybe look into a sc14 for better power
im sure i will cop a heap of garbage for saying what i said but like i said at the start its a personal choice

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
in my opinion, if u were going to take out an engine... drop in a 5lt or something different like a SS LS1 V8...

the way i see it, if your doing all the hard work to remove the engine and replace it.. do something thats worth wile...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
hey
question i have a ecotec motor out of a vs an want to bolt it up 2 my vp auto in a vp can i still run my auto an my computer wit the performance chip in it to..hope sum1 can help cheers phat vp

yes you can, you will need to modify the loom a little and tap the ecotec plenum to fit the buick style MAT (manifold air temp) sensor. then you need to get a decent tune done to suit the ecotec with 808 ecu (using MAP)

it will run with your current tune but will ping a bit. ecotecs run more compression so need a little less timing

there is a complet how-to here to do the conversion with all the little bits you need to know about.

To run the ecotec you need a VS computer, and the VS computer will want to run the electronic box, not the VP gearbox, so in short - no.

no no no morton. ecotec will run fine with the 808 ecu, why would you want to run the electronic box? his original box will work fine, even if he did want to run a electronic box, he could use the VR ecu and still run MAP instead of MAF.

Last edited: