Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec engine into vp?

[JUDGE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Black Vz R8 HSV Clubsport 297kw Gen IV M6
Hey guys i was jst wondering, because the vp has the same engine as the vr the vp is faster due to weight vs power ratio, but the ecotec has more power. basically does the vs ecotec engine fit straight into the vp engine bay, i reckon a vp with a ecotec engine would go hard as, since it is lighter then the newer makes, but it would have the same power?

prince_dj666

hypo v6
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2112842/1
its an arguable debate.. they same eco would be faster cos of high power output and they are more revvy but the pre eco's seem more torquer than the vs. the eco's have weaker pistons too. id only get a brand new eco from a crate if i was gonna do that.. i have driven a few eco's from vs-vy and they seem gutless.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok, for sufer dude's question...it is a pain in the ass on the computer side of things when it comes to putting a ecotec into a vp which has a turbo-hydromatic transmission (auto this is) because the ecotec came with an electronic trans (4L60E)...and even if you did get the whole ecotec engine/trans combo you would still have dramas with running the vp's bcm (it wont want to work with the vs's computer, which you need to also swap over into the vp)....im not saying its not do-able, just a bit of mucking around.
prince_dj666...the ecotec has more kw's AND more torque than a buick v6(vn-vr) it may seem like the earlier buicks are "torquier" (is that even a word,lol) than an ecotec but it isnt the case, it most likely feels like it has more torque because of the rough transmission used with the buick versus the smoother 4L60E used with the eco.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If? the engine bolts straight onto the old auto then you can just run the engine on the old computer and loom and it's all cool. Like prince ^^ said the pistons and rods on the ecotec are much skinnier and weaker than the earlier motor but it does have way better heads. I think the wise this to do if you had no motor and wanted one or the other would be run the ecotec if you were running NA and the earlier one for boost

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i didnt realise the vp computer would work with a maf greenfoam...or are you thinking along the lines of using a map setup for the eco? not trying to dispute you (you know sh*tloads more about this stuff than i do, lol) ...im just curious.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah just throw the maf in the tip, it's been done heaps of times! lots of VS guys installed VN/R computers in their cars before kalmaker could tune the ecotecs

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How does that work, the buick V6 has group fire injection where as the ecotec is sequencial fuel injection and therfore would have different wiring looms. i do believe that someone has made some sort of module so you can run the ecotec engine/ecu without the security module of the later model cars but i don't know if this will also allow you to run the early hydro auto. i would go for the MAFless tune however if possible????:yeah:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
You will need to modify the old VN loom to fit the ecotec engine. The coolant temp & mat sensor will need to be swapped over also. There is a bit of messing around but the speedway guys in W.A. have been doing it with some good results. I am doing one at the moment & will post some pics after I have got it all sorted.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
everytime one of the ecotec into VN/VP thread starts, the key point is how the change the computer because the VS uses an electronic gearbox vs. the old-school hard shifting VN/VP.

What about us manual drivers? the 8-bolt flywheel in the VP should be the same as the VS yes? I'd still have to change the memcal, i think, but what else?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well no offense mr_slim...but there's f*ck all manuals about (in v6's), so its usually a safe bet to assume its an auto thats being talked about.