Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ecotec flatspot, any ideas?

Shambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series III CV8 & VE 3.0 Omega
Hi all,

The problem I am trying to solve is when I rev the car in neutral there is a hesitation, then a slight miss and the revs take up ok.

The more repeated bursts in quick succession the worse it gets. Like its not responsive enough...

Other info:

If you do it slowly its not so bad.

The car drives fine, it accelorates evenly and changes gears with no problem. Although the other night it ran rough for a while (this now seems to of corrected itself).

I changed the plugs about 3 months ago. I would think they should be ok.

I have no error code messages.

I checked the IAC sensor with a multi meter (ohms were correct) and cleaned the pintal tip. It idles fine, nice and even and doesnt
miss at all on idle.

The TPS seems ok. It has the right ohms resistance. Ohms goes up evenly when the throttle is opening with the engine switched off. I wasnt sure what wires on the TPS to use to check the voltage. I know it should be 5v when the throttle is wide open and about .65v when shut.

The injectors seem ok. Ohms resistance is correct @ 12.1 on each and they seem to be working. I did the "listen to a long screw driver test" on each one with the engine running as well. They have a bit of weaping around them but not wet puddles, kinda black dust if you know what i mean.

Car has done 110000kms

Any thoughts on what to do now to fix it? Is it normal for it to hold back when you rev in neutral and then take off?

Tommorrow I am going to remove the plugs, clean and check the gaps and check the resisance on the leads and the resistances of the coil packs, but I'm thinking it maybe a fuel related problem....

Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd throw a tin of injector cleaner in next time the tank gets filled - don't use the cheaper ones. I've got rid of a similar hesitation before by decreasing the spark plug gap - recommended is 1.5mm but I found I had no problems with 1.0mm and got rid of the hesitation.
Good Luck.

paytons_dady

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp ssv 5 speed ,vs aclaim
have u put a pod filter on it? mine did that when i put the pod filter on its not resposive in neutral but drives ok..but now gone back to the standard box..cheers

Shambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I dropped the gap to 1.25mm and checked the leads at the same time and still the same problem.

Turned out to be poor spark leads. I did a resistance check pretty much per the https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-ignition-leads.22308 post and found 2 of them had no resistance at all.

Chucked a new set on and she seems as good as gold.

I left the gaps at 1.25mm not sure if that matters, its going well now and im over it :dance:

Cheers

:w00t:

P.S. no pod fitted

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Shambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK.

At least they will be easy to get out now.

I only do them finger tight then say 1/8 of a turn just to nip em up tight.

I am amazed at the info on this site.

Cheers :thumbsup: