Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ecotec hard to start engine cold

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
g`day guys i need some help , my wifes vs is hard to start when the engine is cold. starts fine when engine has warmed up. have done a fault code check, full cycle of code 12, engine runs good when started . battery is fine 1 year old , alternator puts out 14.2 volts engine running , new leads and spark plugs 6 months ago. have cleaned throttlebody and airflow meter, last year CAS was replaced. last week i removed coils and checked resistance with multimeter, readings within specs . could it be clogged fuel filter?. will be gratefull for any ideas , thanks

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Very well could be just a clogged Fuel filter, cheap and easy as to replace and if it hasn't been changed for a while then that would be the first thing I would be changing. If its still doing that i would be looking at maybe your Starter Motor is on its way out, The prongs that the solenoid slides along could be getting worn making it hard to create a spark. If your going to change it, make sure you depressurize your fuel lines first.

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
Very well could be just a clogged Fuel filter, cheap and easy as to replace and if it hasn't been changed for a while then that would be the first thing I would be changing. If its still doing that i would be looking at maybe your Starter Motor is on its way out, The prongs that the solenoid slides along could be getting worn making it hard to create a spark. If your going to change it, make sure you depressurize your fuel lines first.
thanks Mumboman i think starter motor is ok , engine cranks good , just takes long time to fire up when cold. i will change fuel filter , thanks again for your reply.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
No worries mate, if you need a hand with anything let me know, I'm basically on the Central Coast as well. What part of the Central Coast are you on?

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
No worries mate, if you need a hand with anything let me know, I'm basically on the Central Coast as well. What part of the Central Coast are you on?
i am down at gorokan Mumboman , very kind of you to offer help.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Awesome man, like I said man ever need a hand I'm only 15mins away. Let us know how the Fuel Filter goes.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Injectors themselves could also be to blame. Though they aren't cheap to have a workshop check them out. Could be worth looking at if the fuel filter change doesn't bring any improvements.

STL17

Whipit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged vp v6 manual
my vs v6 in my vn done the same thing it ended up being the tps

baza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss 2003 auto sedan
thanks people for your replies , i will replace fuel filter and see if that helps . if that doesnt fix it will try TPS and coolant temp sensor.

pomiedore vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 11 v6
I have the exact same problem.
It isn't the coolant temp sender or the fuel filter. Trust me.
Possibly injectors?
Try the TPS and let us know how you go.