Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ecotec into VT

GMHVF6

Naturally stroked
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm
So my cars been dead for over 8 months waiting for a engine to be rebuilt so thought to myself, screw it, il get some mates round and drop in another stocko ecotec for a temp fix so i can drive the car around.

Got a motor from a VS. now im reading the engine wiring loom is different from VS to VT. Is this true? are the plugs different or actual wiring is all wrong. Couldn't i just swap the sensors off my dead motor to the VS motor?

Or should i give up on this whole exercize and just wait for my new motor to be finished.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
If you're just swapping the engine I can't imagine what the difference would be between the motor in a VS and a VT. I only say this because of the abundance of parts I see advertised for VS, VT, VX, VY. OK, so there might be some differences in the looms and ECU's but the actual engine is exactly the same. You'll be using all your original loom so I don't see an issue. Bear in mind I've never done that swap but I'd have a small wager that you'll have no issues dropping any Ecotec into your VT. Check out this thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...re-1993-1997/149119-v6-vt-engine-into-vs.html The small differences shouldn't be an issue as I expect you'll already have the VT parts to swap on.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It will work fine, I fitted a VS ecotec to a VY not long ago because the original VY ecotec blew up, and the only thing I had to do was swap over the VY exhaust manifolds and the VY inlet manifold onto the VS engine because of the EGR and the different temp sensors used.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Check with your state roads place. Vic roads won't let you put an older engine in your car (in. Your vt cam have a vx or vy but not a Vs).

^ Exactly this.

Cheers
Mat

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Must be different In Vic, NSW will allow you to use a older motor so long as it has all the EGR etc systems fitted. Brett-JJJ did it on here, VS Motor into a VY and got it all legal no worries.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
As said most of the time you will need all the pollution gear fitted. Would be easier to get one out of the right model or just wait.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I called the RTA in NSW about all this when I fitted a VS engine into a VY, and as long as the inlet and exhaust manifolds are fitted to the older ecotec so the EGR works, then thats all thats needed to comply with regs as the engines are pretty much the same except fo the EGR on the later engines.
If the VS engine is ok then Id just use it if its there all ready to go, it takes all of half an hour to swap over manifolds, and usually the inlet manifold gaskets on these engines will need replacing anyway so "kill two birds with one stone".

Dazza_86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ute
I have done this swap with the help of a mechanical friend, A 1996 VS engine into a 1998 VT, we changed the intake manifold off the blown vt engine onto the VS engine and from memory the passenger engine mount u need to use the vs one as the aircon mounts slightly different, and vaguelly remember having to swap a pulley for belt to fit properly (I think due to aircon pulley size difference) Has been going strong for over 10months now