Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS (Ecotec) knocking/ticking noise

Nessie1996

Joel Ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Lexcen - Buick 3.8L
After a hellish few weeks sorting out major under-power and misfiring issues due to faulty coil packs, and then vacuum leak (fixed via new valley cover gaskets) I have found a new problem. A bad one IMO.

A seemingly constant (can't hear it over exhaust when revving) noise, like a "tick" or a knocking sound. I don't want to believe this is a low end knock. It may turn out to be but I don't want to consider it yet. Also feels underpowered.

Main Symptoms:
-Knocking / ticking sound when at idle and low revs (less than 3krpm). Possbily constant but I cant hear it over my exhaust (fairly loud pipes) when revving that hard.
-Car refuses to accelerate beyond 60kmph in first gear. I used to be able to get her doin 70-75km in 1st. Now it gets to 60ish and holds and then struggles to change into 2nd. If accelerating at medium throttle the gear change is fine.
-Somewhat under-powered compared to a year ago.

Other Symptoms:
-Stalls sometimes when release throttle to idle while rolling very slowly and turning (as if parking).
^^this could be due to shitty fuel pump, this has already been brought up by my boss (being a mechanic)

I've heard that a cracked / damaged Transmission Flexplate can cause this, and that would make sense to me because my car wont reach same speeds in 1st as it used to...

Tell me your stories and ideas about similar issues. I'd love to shed some light on this. Thanks in advance!

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I had a ticking noise once an it turned out to be my extractors had come a bit loose and it was just exhaust gas escaping out of a corner of them. It really sounded like something bad but it wasn't. Just get a bit of hose put one end to your ear and run it around the exhaust manifolds to try and hear something. I doubt it would be the problem because mine kind of seemed like a once off lol, but just an idea..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could be the harmonic balancer wobbling a bit and hitting engine......also check catalytic converter - if partially blocked this will strangle engine. Can't see how a cracked flexplate would affect speed.