Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ecotec MAF upgrades

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah you can go map if you get a dyno tune with kalmaker or you can roll back to the VR auto ecu which runs map as well and can control the electronic auto still

oldmate74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato
ok, so is it a simple roll back. any major mods need doing on the wiring harness or car?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it will require a bit of repinning at the ecu plug but with a repinning tool its pretty easy to unpin and repin the wires where they need to go and then use the old maf wires to plug the map sensor in.both methods will require tuning though

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
a bored out maf or ls1 maf will both allow for measuring more air as the frequency vs airflow changes you get more air going through for the same Hz frequency getting output to the ecu.its good when the limiting factor is the stock ecu tunes only measuring upto 8Hz of frequency i think it is.so a bigger maf gives you the extra headroom before maxing out the frequency team that up with kalmaker which extends the frequency to 10Hz and you can measure a huge increase in flow.but if you are using the maf on the intake side of the blower it will be sweet to 10psi at least i think.

Fair enough, i've been told in the past that the ecotec maf can only measure up to a certain frequency, whilst the LS1's maf surpasses this...buggered if i can remember numbers at the moment though.
But if what your saying is the case then so be it, you'd probably be more familiar with this stuff. I didn't think an ecotec maf could be bored to 75mm diameter like a LS1 maf is stock though, so always figured it could handle and measure more airflow at higher frequency.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I read somewhere that the stock ecotec intake (throttle body, plenum & maf) are good for up to about 180-190rwkw, so apart from keeping everything clean and in good nick, I don't really see much point in upgrading

MACE

Reaction score
You can machine the V6 MAF's out to around 74mm, and flow much more then a standard LS1 MAF. Not only this, as delcowizard has pointed out, the bored out item does allow for more air flow per given frequency compared to the factory item, meaning that they can be tuned beyond the 180rwkw mark.

Even though the standard MAF is good for around the 180kw at the rears mark, you have to take into consideration that it still represents a pressure drop across the intake along with other items such as the air filter assembly throttle body, plenum, heads etc.

If you do anything in these areas for instance to reduce the pressure drop from occurring the engine will be able to ingest more air meaning more power. You might find that changing only one item, for instance on the inlet tract might make a small difference but if you focus on improving the entire system then solid gains are definitely available.

The last two paragraphs are more applicable to naturally aspirated engines as they only have atmospheric pressure to work with making them more sensitive to such changes, unlike a boosted engine which has more overall pressure to play with to overcome any pressure drops attributed to MAF's etc. Basically these areas are more important to NA cars looking to make power then boosted ones

Waz888v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ls1 s2
Hey mate my son has a vx L67 super charged he brought a kit from mace engineering came with a inch thick gaskit (still fits under standard bonnet) a bigger throttle body (69 mm ) extension for fuel injectors and a new computer chip because of more air all installed it goes awesome. But I have a vy ls1 and I noticed the maf sensor looks the same as the v6 so did a bit of research and you can put a vy ls1 maf on a v6 if you retune the ecu because the L67 kit came with a bigger throttle body and a chip we decided to go ahead with the swap wow it actually works better acceleration (quicker) smother through the gears it a auto 4 l60 e quicker gear changes in power mode I'm a V8 man and it impressed me.
We actually put both maf together the vy maf looks about 10 mm bigger in width on the inside makes a huge difference

Last edited: