Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ecotec rough idle

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
engine mounts can "look" ok, but you'd have to really compare it to a new mount to see. if they've never been replaced guaranteed the engine will be sitting lower. good way to check is to get a mate to put the car in drive and full brake and give it a bit of a rev (be careful obviously) with the bonnet open. see how much the engine lifts, if it lifts heaps then your mount is either snapped or sagged or old or all of the above lol.

think about it, when the car is going forwards (drive) the passenger side mount is under strain... that's 90% of the cars life.

primo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
yeah good point...............................I read about the mounts in another forum, so I'll check that out as well. The mechanic said that the mount bolts where tight so he didn't think they needed replacement, but if they have sagged, especially on one side, that could contribute to some vibration at idle I guess.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah I reckon that's the go with mine, the engine lifts a fair bit. so I'm gonna replace mine and hopefully the vibrations end :)

Harmonica balancer could be the culprit as well. Could be showing its age and throwing things out a bit at low rpm.
How many kms on your car?

primo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
around 180,000.

primo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
wouldn't the balancer being making noticeable noises or movement in general?

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
wouldn't the balancer being making noticeable noises or movement in general?

only if it's about to fall off lol. balancer will give you shudders and vibrations, usually decreasing with the increase of rpm.
if you start your car and take a look at how much the balancer wobbles about, i don't think they're meant to wobble at all.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
If this was the case wouldn't the ECU be throwing a code because the CAS would be getting an incorrect signal?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
nar the metal shroud the passes by the cas would be still fine, the rubber to the pully would be outta whack.

gendi

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SVZ Wagon
my VS idled rough and vibrated really bad, got the engine mounts replaced (both where split in half) and wow i didnt know my car could be so quiet and not shake, also car ran like a bitch due to my break booster vacuum leak.