Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Ecotech 3.08

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt Commodore 50th anniversary Edition
not sure if the title is right but need some advice on the ecotech 3.08 motor in my vs commy. Okay
i have been running my car with unlead 95 and just wondering if it safe to run car on unlead 91 instead
of unlead 95..

I've been told from differant people that i can run unlead 91 and some are saying no i cant because the motor
is the original from 1995. But i know a few people that have the same motor in Vp commys and they run unlead

So i thought i would come in here and double check with you great people as you all have great knowledge on
motors and that..

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
She's safe to run on 91,
unless its been tuned to run a higher octane fuel. And the vs (3.8) ecotech is actually a different motor to the earlier cars (vn-vr).

In the end, if you can get 98 in your area, use it, for the extra $5 at the bowser, I've been getting an extra 50kms per tank on average. Food for thought, it's cheaper run the expensive stuff, ironic huh?

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
I believe you can. Could just get a tune to suit it.
But these engines run best with the higher octane.
Even get a tune for 98.

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks for the quick feedback guys... when you mean tune do you mean tune up?

Unlead 98 had no idea of... I always go to caltex to get my fuel as they have unlead 91
and unlead 95/96 i think.. The on the run fuel pump bowsers are so confusing for me... digital **** lmao

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
From what I have read I would assume your car is stock as a rock, or maybe the rock is more modified, who knows. I would be happy to stick anything in that fuel tank aslong as it not Diesel and will run happily.

However, 98 is better then 95, and 95 is better then 91, but end of the day 91 will still get you from A to B with no hassles. So do what ever makes you happy. :D

sapeter

Reaction score
Members Ride
From what I have read I would assume your car is stock as a rock, or maybe the rock is more modified, who knows. I would be happy to stick anything in that fuel tank aslong as it not Diesel and will run happily.

However, 98 is better then 95, and 95 is better then 91, but end of the day 91 will still get you from A to B with no hassles. So do what ever makes you happy. :D

yeah plain stock motor, 98 unlead i will give it a good shot in an hour ...

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
And just so you know, bp is generally a better fuel if you have one close by, and I believe she'll is too, but they're my opinion, I simply won't use anything other than she'll or bp 98.
It's usually 14-15 cents more per litre, but the extra Km's you get and the extra punch you can feel is worth it.

And a tune, is either getting a memcal to suit your car and driving style or getting it tuned on the dyno, the latter is the better option but more expensive, you'll get both better power and economy.

DrZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman "cam only"
yeah plain stock motor, 98 unlead i will give it a good shot in an hour ...

And just so you know, bp is generally a better fuel if you have one close by, and I believe she'll is too, but they're my opinion, I simply won't use anything other than she'll or bp 98.
It's usually 14-15 cents more per litre, but the extra Km's you get and the extra punch you can feel is worth it.

And a tune, is either getting a memcal to suit your car and driving style or getting it tuned on the dyno, the latter is the better option but more expensive, you'll get both better power and economy.

Not to mention that 98ron has wonderful cleaning properties, I know a lot of mechanics that say if you use 91 every 5 or so tanks you should run a tank of 98 through it. It helps lubricate and clean all your injectors and intake etc.

You may find that 95 is your optimal ron, as your car doesnt actually make more power with higher rons, what it does is recognises that you are using a high ron fuel and wont run the car as rich, this makes it run better and use less fuel etc etc as low ron fuel can risk pre-ignition/knocking etc so it will add a lil more fuel an run the car towards the rich side.

With my VX clubby before I got it tuned, 91 wasnt a great idea as it was 'tuned' by holden and recommended to run 95 but was safe to run 91.. So i could feel a large diff between 91 to 95, and i could feel the diff from 95-98 in that car.. not as much as the 91-95 tho..

but when i had my vs 3.8L v6 I found there was a good difference from 91-95 but not really much of a diff to go to 98, because from factory it was tuned for 91.. So 95 is already in the upper regions of the high ron for its tune, you can retune it to run 98 more efficiently but yeah, hopefully this all makes sense. I ran my vs on a combination of 95-98, but usually 98 because it is better for your car, and end of the day u usually on pay like an extra $2 for a tank lol. (over 95).

so its really up to you mate, I would recommend running 98 in it if you have the cash, if you drive it hard, def think about using a high octane fuel like 98. but otherwise, if it really doesnt bother you how much milage you get, or how many times you refill a week, or anything like that, go 91..

But like we have all said, 98 is better for many reasons. But your car would be safe to run any of the 3 variants.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Not to mention that 98ron has wonderful cleaning properties, I know a lot of mechanics that say if you use 91 every 5 or so tanks you should run a tank of 98 through it. It helps lubricate and clean all your injectors and intake etc.

You may find that 95 is your optimal ron, as your car doesnt actually make more power with higher rons, what it does is recognises that you are using a high ron fuel and wont run the car as rich, this makes it run better and use less fuel etc etc as low ron fuel can risk pre-ignition/knocking etc so it will add a lil more fuel an run the car towards the rich side.

With my VX clubby before I got it tuned, 91 wasnt a great idea as it was 'tuned' by holden and recommended to run 95 but was safe to run 91.. So i could feel a large diff between 91 to 95, and i could feel the diff from 95-98 in that car.. not as much as the 91-95 tho..

but when i had my vs 3.8L v6 I found there was a good difference from 91-95 but not really much of a diff to go to 98, because from factory it was tuned for 91.. So 95 is already in the upper regions of the high ron for its tune, you can retune it to run 98 more efficiently but yeah, hopefully this all makes sense. I ran my vs on a combination of 95-98, but usually 98 because it is better for your car, and end of the day u usually on pay like an extra $2 for a tank lol. (over 95).

so its really up to you mate, I would recommend running 98 in it if you have the cash, if you drive it hard, def think about using a high octane fuel like 98. but otherwise, if it really doesnt bother you how much milage you get, or how many times you refill a week, or anything like that, go 91..

But like we have all said, 98 is better for many reasons. But your car would be safe to run any of the 3 variants.

I tend to disagree somewhat, a higher octane allows you to advance timing which in turn gives you a better bang, a little more power, only a little, but it does affect it.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Something like that, it's like running lower Ron on an old carny engine, to run it, you need to back off the timing, and you lose noticeable power