Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS electric mirror issue......

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Hi people

VS SII wagon - both mirrors stopped working. Suspected fuse - nope. Fuse is fine and power gets from it (along a little pink wire) to the loom plug where it goes through to the driver's door. However, Mr Pinky didn't complete his circuit from that connector through to the connector on the mirror adjustment switch.

So, being an enterprising young lad (and not really wanting to try and feed a new wire through the rubber doohickey in the cold dark evening air), I hooked the pink wire at the loom plug where it was still getting power to the unused wiring for the electric windows (the car doesn't have them), patched this window wire into where the pink wire went into the mirror switch plug in the door and hey presto, I have drivers mirror adjustment.

However, passenger's mirror still ain't going. Hooked the brown wire at the loom plug under the dash to the brown wire at the switch end and got power to the passenger's mirror, but the driver's one stopped working. Reason for this is that the colour BROWN is also the colour of the damned wire that goes up to the DRIVER'S mirror and I'd inadvertently redirected it to it's partner. Note though that the passengers mirror would only adjust if the switch was set to the PASSENGER'S position and the driver's one would only adjust if the switch was set to the DRIVER'S position. So, for all of my hijinks, the switch appeared to be doing what it was supposed to.

So....I set the wiring loom for the brown wire back as it was and still have my driver's mirror adjustment, but no passenger's adjustment. I did try swapping the mirror switch with that of my other VS, but it made no difference and the one in the vehicle with the mirror issue works fine in the other car.

I tested the circuit of all wires not heading up to the driver's mirror between the switch connection on the drivers door and the connector in the loom under the dash and guess what? The pink wire was the only one that was shagged.

So, I'm STUMPED. I've got connections for all wires that go back through the door to the main loom, I've now got power up to the switch, the driver's side mirror adjusts when the switch is set to the driver's side, the switch itself is fine, the passenger's mirror adjusts fine when power is connected to it's brown wire (meaning that the internal loom is fine), but the bl**dy thing just won't GO!!!!!

Can anyone please post details of what wire does what for the mirrors so I've got something to go from or failing this, can anyone please tell me WHICH wire goes from the mirror switch in the driver's door back to the brown wire under the dash that obviously takes power to the passenger's side (unless I've got this REALLY ar** about face)? My Haynes manual is about as much use as a chocolate teapot in making any sense of things where it's wiring diagrams are concerned.

Thanks in advance for your help.

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Ummmmmm.......I'm surprised I'm the only one to have struck this. Are you all SURE you can't help? I really don't have the cash to take it into my local dealership for such a trivial issue.......

Please help me! Even a posting of a wiring diagram for the VS mirrors would go some ways toward me getting this monkey off my back....

....not to mention the wife, as it's HER car!!!!!:whistling

Thanks