Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Electrical problems after HU install

bigfluff

Reaction score
Hello all

I have recently had a head unit installed by a mate of mine he is an electronics techinician by trade so has an excelllent knowledge of audio systems but not a whole heap about exact car wiring.

He has done a wicked job of my stereo install but after he installed the deck my dash lights no longer work i have checked all my fuses and found that one 5A fuse keeps blowing.

I know that he did not add any wiring into the car he hooked the system up using only the cables that the original deck used. Can anyone out there pls provide me with some information as to what may have gone wrong.

If its any help at the end of the install there was one wire left over in the original stereo plug that wasnt needed dont know if this has anything to do with my problem

regards

mike :)

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
There's a wire on the radio connector that has a light feed on it ......maybe he has mistakenly earthed this wire (brown/white) instead of the black/white that should have been earthed.

Attachments

• radio vr.jpg
    radio vr.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,768

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
The reason the fuse keeps blowing is because he has connected your stereo to earth via the park light circuit!!!!!

When your lights are off you will get an earth via this wire because it can backfeed via the bulbs to earth. When you turn the park lights on this earth then turns into a power feed and if its connected to the stereo as an earth it will earth via the stero's wiring and cause a short.

Pull the head unit out again, disconnect it and check the wiring for the park light circuit (after fitting a new fuse!) then disconnect this wire and find a real earth wire and try that!

Regards Guy

p.s. VERY COMMON FAULT when fitting a head unit

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
that is possible gsmrobinson, although something else is more probable....

m about 98% sure your mate who has wired your head deck hasn't herd of a thing called heat shrink, and he's only herd of something called "leccy tape"
and thus just chpped yoru plug off or somethign similar and everytime (or not) you turn your lights on your dash lights go Poof and blows the fuse, i think you get your mate around and remove the dash and put heat shrink over all of the bare wires he left. If thats the case then he's not so good of a audio technican. As when i do car stereo's i make a trace lead up to go from original plug to aftermaket plug.

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
i dunno but after installing my new HU in my VR, when i turn my parkers on or headlighs it turns my accessories on, which to me ain't bad though i can't turn my parkers off if i turn the key to accessories, could it be because i may have left the wire for the stereo dimmer unwrapped. it's not blowing fuses.

deano223

Reaction score
Hey Guys ..i just installed a new Head deck in My VS and all i did was went to my local auto place and got the aftermarket adaptor as Tails said and it worked like a charm no cuting of the car harness and no problems and yes you have to use heatshrink otherwise as said above the tape isnt that good when it gets in an hot environment E.g HU ....so for a couple of bucks go down to dicky smith and get some heatshrink for $4 and you will save in the long run from replacing fuses all the time .... :)

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
Can anyone tell me what each wire does coming from the standard radio adaptor in a VS commodore. Or can i purchase an aftermarker adaptor for my clarion head unit?